Smoltz's convertion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Smoltz's convertion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sockeye » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:09 pm

I don't think Santana and Soriano are very good comparisons to the Smoltz situation.

Smoltz had a lot of arm trouble awhile back and basically was always pitching in pain even when "healthy" and effective. I think it was 2000 or 2001 (someone can probably look it up on the stats) when it all came to a head, and was a large part of the movement of him to the bullpen.

I think Soriano and Santana started out in the pen; maybe either to limit pitch counts, because there were already veteran starters ahead of them, or because it was part of the on-the-job training regiment that their managers had decided to follow.

All that said, I am sure Smoltz will be effective ias a starter, and I'm guessing that they wouldn;t be moving him back in if they didn't think he was past some of his chronic pain.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:30 pm

tlef316 wrote:i dont get all the hype around smoltz going back to the rotation. He was a great starter 5 years ago, but he's much older now and has suffered alot of injuries since he last started. Ill be surprised if he goes deep into alot of games. Should put up ok numbers, but he'll get drafted too high based on his name recognition. Im staying away. Plenty of better options

I agree. I have a feeling he will get drafted like it is 5 years ago. If he falls to round 10 I will draft him but not before.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtarail » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:16 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I've had this concern since the news came out that he was going back to the rotation. I'm not really sure how legitimate it is, but I would think that someone as old as Smoltz would inevitably have some problems handling the work load, but then again he was a starter at one time -- and a pretty good one -- so of the few that I can think of he would have the best chance of success probably. :-?

I think the news is legit. Atlanta wouldn't have brought over Kolb if it wasn't.

I'm skeptical about Smoltz. I wouldn't overspend on a 37 year old tht hasn't started in 4 years....
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:40 pm

mtarail wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I've had this concern since the news came out that he was going back to the rotation. I'm not really sure how legitimate it is, but I would think that someone as old as Smoltz would inevitably have some problems handling the work load, but then again he was a starter at one time -- and a pretty good one -- so of the few that I can think of he would have the best chance of success probably. :-?

I think the news is legit. Atlanta wouldn't have brought over Kolb if it wasn't.

I'm skeptical about Smoltz. I wouldn't overspend on a 37 year old tht hasn't started in 4 years....

I meant my concern for him going back into the rotation. I realize it's pretty much set in stone now unless they move Kolb to the SU role.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:17 am

IF his elbow holds up he'll be one of the top pitchers in the NL.

I'd take a chance on him in the top 100.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby rich101682 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:11 am

Derek Lowe also went from closer to starter.

Of course, he wasn't as much of a power pitcher.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:24 pm

I don't think it's fair to compare Smoltz's situation with other 'closer-turned-starter' guys.

Dude was a top-end starter for years before converting to the pen, so he knows exactly what he's in for. Plus, this is something he's been begging for; it's not like a management-forced switch that'll mess with his head.

In a couple interviews I've read/heard in recent years, he said preparing to throw for short stretches as often as four games in five days was way more stressful than going every fifth day. I wouldn't expect a bunch of complete games, but if he comes out of spring training healthy, I'd see him as a solid No. 3 (fantasy) starter, a top-100 guy like Trevisc is talking about.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Fool42 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:03 am

I'm not positive about this but didn't Smoltz convert to closer because of arm problems. I thought it was either conert him to reliever or end his carrer. Maybe I'm wrong about that or maybe his arm has had time to heal itself with the lessened load of a reliever.
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:11 am

Fool42 wrote:I'm not positive about this but didn't Smoltz convert to closer because of arm problems. I thought it was either conert him to reliever or end his carrer. Maybe I'm wrong about that or maybe his arm has had time to heal itself with the lessened load of a reliever.

It was convert him or have him take longer to heal. By making him a closer it allowed his elbow more time to heal. That first year he was a closer he had some elbow issues and they had to use another closer here and there. I think he's been 100% for at least half a season now and if worst comes to worst they'll just put him back as a closer if it doesn't work out.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers