Yanks, Sox, Halos to Pay Lux Tax - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks, Sox, Halos to Pay Lux Tax

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:37 am

wrveres wrote:Hmm, lets have some fun with this

What would the Padres look like if they could throw around 120.00 million a year.

1B - Helton @ 15 Million per - We did draft the fool in 92, we just couldn't afford him.
2B - Loretta @ 2.5 Million per - .
SS - K Greene @ 300,000 - Yes, we still develop our own.
3B - S Burroughs @ 1.5 Million - Its arbitration time soon.
RF - B Giles @ 9 Million - We did trade for the guy.
CF - S Finley @ 7 Million - Did I mention loyalty
LF - G Jenkins @ 8 Million - Another drafted stud
C - Hernandez @ 2.3 million - We stole this one off one of those lower market teams

SP - Jake Peavy - 2.3 Million - arbitration is coming.
SP - Matt Clement - 6.5 Million - Traded away becasue we couldn't keep him.
SP - David Wells - 5.5 Million - Even his wife would have shut up if we had enough cash.
SP - Kevin Brown - 15 Million - well with a 120 million payroll we to could of tossed in airplane rides to Georgia too.
SP - Adam Eaton - 2.6 million - Its his year, just watch.

SU - Otsuka - 0.8 Mil
CL - Hoffman - 7 Mill

hmmm
Dream on I guess ... I still gotta finish the pen but up to now, I have only spent roughly 85 Million. I still have 35 million dollars to blow. This is disgusting ..

Lets see.
* I'll ship Eaton to Arizona for Randy Johnson and assume his whole contract. Theres 13 Million.
* I can throw 1.5 million at Wade Miller, don't know if he can pitch or not, but ya know, 'Just in case' ..
* Oh wow... This puts me into the Beltran Sweepstakes too, looks like Jenkins goes to the bench. Better yet, I'll trade Giles. He stunk last season, his production was way down. Actually, the more I think about it, Brian Giles is a piece of chit who can't perform in pressure situations and he has to go. Just trade his ass. So minus Giles, plus Beltran thats another 7 Million per ..

and that leaves me with roughly 15 millon for my pen and bench..
Sickening ... Just sickening ..
I am TRYING to spend 120.00 million and I am having difficulty.
and I have at my count, 4 players making 14 million or more, and still can't spend 120 mill.

what a joke it must be living in La La land ..

when does real baseball start? :-t

You're delusional.... and a republican, right? If they don't pay for their players they don't deserve them. Right? If they can't pick their talent, they don't deserve it. But they're paying Brian Giles $14M instead of $700K for Ollie Perez and Jason Bay combined, right?

;-)

I won't even begin to make me name the players drafted by the Jays who are signed for multimillion dollar contracts for other teams. Jeff Kent, Shawn Green, and Carlos Delgado to name a few. Thank God we still have Halladay and Wells... for now.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:00 pm

wrveres wrote:Hmm, lets have some fun with this

What would the Padres look like if they could throw around 120.00 million a year.

1B - Helton @ 15 Million per - We did draft the fool in 92, we just couldn't afford him.
2B - Loretta @ 2.5 Million per - .
SS - K Greene @ 300,000 - Yes, we still develop our own.
3B - S Burroughs @ 1.5 Million - Its arbitration time soon.
RF - B Giles @ 9 Million - We did trade for the guy.
CF - S Finley @ 7 Million - Did I mention loyalty
LF - G Jenkins @ 8 Million - Another drafted stud
C - Hernandez @ 2.3 million - We stole this one off one of those lower market teams

SP - Jake Peavy - 2.3 Million - arbitration is coming.
SP - Matt Clement - 6.5 Million - Traded away becasue we couldn't keep him.
SP - David Wells - 5.5 Million - Even his wife would have shut up if we had enough cash.
SP - Kevin Brown - 15 Million - well with a 120 million payroll we to could of tossed in airplane rides to Georgia too.
SP - Adam Eaton - 2.6 million - Its his year, just watch.

SU - Otsuka - 0.8 Mil
CL - Hoffman - 7 Mill

hmmm
Dream on I guess ... I still gotta finish the pen but up to now, I have only spent roughly 85 Million. I still have 35 million dollars to blow. This is disgusting ..

Lets see.
* I'll ship Eaton to Arizona for Randy Johnson and assume his whole contract. Theres 13 Million.
* I can throw 1.5 million at Wade Miller, don't know if he can pitch or not, but ya know, 'Just in case' ..
* Oh wow... This puts me into the Beltran Sweepstakes too, looks like Jenkins goes to the bench. Better yet, I'll trade Giles. He stunk last season, his production was way down. Actually, the more I think about it, Brian Giles is a piece of chit who can't perform in pressure situations and he has to go. Just trade his ass. So minus Giles, plus Beltran thats another 7 Million per ..

and that leaves me with roughly 15 millon for my pen and bench..
Sickening ... Just sickening ..
I am TRYING to spend 120.00 million and I am having difficulty.
and I have at my count, 4 players making 14 million or more, and still can't spend 120 mill.

what a joke it must be living in La La land ..

when does real baseball start? :-t

I don't understand why you use $120 million as your benchmark? You do know that there is a team in the MLB that spends over $180 million and may top $200 million in the next few years, right? Do you want to know how to lower the Sox's payroll? Lower the Yankees payroll. That's the only reason we have a $120 million payroll. We HAVE to have that high of a payroll or we won't compete with the Yankees every year.

Every Sox fan I have talked to (and I have talked to MANY!) would love a salary cap and would gladly embrace it.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby XTSilver » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:33 pm

acsguitar wrote:oh wait the redsox are the highest paid team ever to win the World Series...

I may be sick if I see this "fact" quoted again on this site.
A site full of Satisticians and generally informed and intelligent people and yet I've seen this thrown out there at least 10 times.
Someone must have read it on the bottom of some espn article as an interesting fact and all of a sudden its the theme of the whole anti-Sox, and there evil spending, kick that has caught on recently.
Has no one in here taken economics 101? Inflation ring a bell?
I'm not going to waste my time looking it up because I am sure I'm right but please, someone who has used this quote themselves, tell me the percentage of the sox salary compared to the entire league. Then tell me the percentage of the yankees salary compared to the entire league in each of the years they won from 96-2000.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:05 pm

Nomar4prez wrote: I don't understand why you use $120 million as your benchmark?

ummm, maybe because that was the Luxury Tax threshold :-? ... 120.5 Mill.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:09 pm

LBJackal wrote: You're delusional.... and a republican, right? If they don't pay for their players they don't deserve them. Right? If they can't pick their talent, they don't deserve it. But they're paying Brian Giles $14M instead of $700K for Ollie Perez and Jason Bay combined, right?

It is amazing to me how much you rely on "last season" only. Not just on this thread but many, many others. I know some of the other guys have brought it up to you before, but I would think that somebody with your experience would know better, guess not. :-°
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:59 pm

XTSilver wrote:
acsguitar wrote:oh wait the redsox are the highest paid team ever to win the World Series...

I may be sick if I see this "fact" quoted again on this site.
Has no one in here taken economics 101? Inflation ring a bell?

lol... I thought the same thing when I read that, but if someone posted it, then they obviously don't want to take the time to think through it. I didn't even bother pointing it out, but I'll gladly give you a:

Nice post!

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby lesgrant » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:54 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:I don't understand why you use $120 million as your benchmark? You do know that there is a team in the MLB that spends over $180 million and may top $200 million in the next few years, right? Do you want to know how to lower the Sox's payroll? Lower the Yankees payroll. That's the only reason we have a $120 million payroll. We HAVE to have that high of a payroll or we won't compete with the Yankees every year.

Every Sox fan I have talked to (and I have talked to MANY!) would love a salary cap and would gladly embrace it.

Sure, blame it on the Yankees!

It’s Steinbrenner’s fault that you lose and it’s his fault you win.

Get a new song to sing already. It’s really tired. You pierced the luxury tax threshold and bought a championship, just like you accuse the Yankees of doing.

Are you less of a murder because you stab your victim once as opposed to three times? You are a big spender and you owe everything you are enjoying about your championship to $$$$$. Get over it and stop being a hypocrite.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:39 pm

lesgrant wrote:Are you less of a murder because you stab your victim once as opposed to three times? You are a big spender and you owe everything you are enjoying about your championship to $$$$$. Get over it and stop being a hypocrite.

Bravo ! :-b
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:26 pm

lesgrant wrote:Are you less of a murder because you stab your victim once as opposed to three times?

No but you're certainly more efficient. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:33 am

wrveres wrote:
LBJackal wrote: You're delusional.... and a republican, right? If they don't pay for their players they don't deserve them. Right? If they can't pick their talent, they don't deserve it. But they're paying Brian Giles $14M instead of $700K for Ollie Perez and Jason Bay combined, right?

It is amazing to me how much you rely on "last season" only. Not just on this thread but many, many others. I know some of the other guys have brought it up to you before, but I would think that somebody with your experience would know better, guess not. :-°

Huh? Did you quote the right part of my post? Because I don't get it. Are you saying you'd rather pay $14M for Giles than $700K for Ollie and Jason Bay? Maybe you should give the Padres management lessons on rating talent, instead of giving them to me :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers