Yanks, Sox, Halos to Pay Lux Tax - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks, Sox, Halos to Pay Lux Tax

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:54 pm

Tavish wrote:It should be real interesting to see where the salaries go when the luxury tax disappears after 2006. Good riddance. For some reason I just don't think its served as any type of spending deterrent for the big market owners and it hasnt been that much of boon for smaller market teams.
I think the Luxury tax is a good idea but MLB screwed up the execution. According to the CBA the money from the luxury tax is used for player benefits, the industry growth fund, or player development in countries lacking organized high school baseball. None of that is for the benefit of small market teams. Maybe The Yanks, Sox and Angels would be a little more worried about the luxury tax if the money was going to their competition.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:15 pm

What the world champion red sox?? NO! !! Impossible...the are david to the yankees goliath..oh wait their payrolls are 1 and 2 in the league...oh wait the redsox are the highest paid team ever to win the World Series...

oh yea
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Strasil42 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:06 pm

acsguitar wrote:What the world champion red sox?? NO! !! Impossible...the are david to the yankees goliath..oh wait their payrolls are 1 and 2 in the league...oh wait the redsox are the highest paid team ever to win the World Series...
oh yea

i like that quote. ;-D ;-D ;-D
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:What the world champion red sox?? NO! !! Impossible...the are david to the yankees goliath..oh wait their payrolls are 1 and 2 in the league...oh wait the redsox are the highest paid team ever to win the World Series...

oh yea

Ya b/c $25 million and $3 million are so close.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:18 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:

oh yea

Keep in mind that the Sox are only being charged ~17.5% while the Yankees are paying ~30%.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jivedude » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:

oh yea

Keep in mind that the Sox are only being charged ~17.5% while the Yankees are paying ~30%.

Actually, I thought it was 22.5% not 17.5%.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:45 am

Jivedude wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:

oh yea

Actually, I thought it was 22.5% not 17.5%.

I don't think so because the Sox didn't pay a luxury tax last year and 17.5 is the base. But I'm not positive, 22.5 may be right. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:37 am

Hmm, lets have some fun with this

What would the Padres look like if they could throw around 120.00 million a year.

1B - Helton @ 15 Million per - We did draft the fool in 92, we just couldn't afford him.
2B - Loretta @ 2.5 Million per - .
SS - K Greene @ 300,000 - Yes, we still develop our own.
3B - S Burroughs @ 1.5 Million - Its arbitration time soon.
RF - B Giles @ 9 Million - We did trade for the guy.
CF - S Finley @ 7 Million - Did I mention loyalty
LF - G Jenkins @ 8 Million - Another drafted stud
C - Hernandez @ 2.3 million - We stole this one off one of those lower market teams

SP - Jake Peavy - 2.3 Million - arbitration is coming.
SP - Matt Clement - 6.5 Million - Traded away becasue we couldn't keep him.
SP - David Wells - 5.5 Million - Even his wife would have shut up if we had enough cash.
SP - Kevin Brown - 15 Million - well with a 120 million payroll we to could of tossed in airplane rides to Georgia too.
SP - Adam Eaton - 2.6 million - Its his year, just watch.

SU - Otsuka - 0.8 Mil
CL - Hoffman - 7 Mill

hmmm
Dream on I guess ... I still gotta finish the pen but up to now, I have only spent roughly 85 Million. I still have 35 million dollars to blow. This is disgusting ..

Lets see.
* I'll ship Eaton to Arizona for Randy Johnson and assume his whole contract. Theres 13 Million.
* I can throw 1.5 million at Wade Miller, don't know if he can pitch or not, but ya know, 'Just in case' ..
* Oh wow... This puts me into the Beltran Sweepstakes too, looks like Jenkins goes to the bench. Better yet, I'll trade Giles. He stunk last season, his production was way down. Actually, the more I think about it, Brian Giles is a piece of chit who can't perform in pressure situations and he has to go. Just trade his ass. So minus Giles, plus Beltran thats another 7 Million per ..

and that leaves me with roughly 15 millon for my pen and bench..
Sickening ... Just sickening ..
I am TRYING to spend 120.00 million and I am having difficulty.
and I have at my count, 4 players making 14 million or more, and still can't spend 120 mill.

what a joke it must be living in La La land ..

when does real baseball start? :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:42 am

wrveres wrote:Hmm, lets have some fun with this

What would the Padres look like if they could throw around 120.00 million a year.

1B - Helton @ 15 Million per - We did draft the fool in 92, we just couldn't afford him.
2B - Loretta @ 2.5 Million per - .
SS - K Greene @ 300,000 - Yes, we still develop our own.
3B - S Burroughs @ 1.5 Million - Its arbitration time soon.
RF - B Giles @ 9 Million - We did trade for the guy.
CF - S Finley @ 7 Million - Did I mention loyalty
LF - G Jenkins @ 8 Million - Another drafted stud
C - Hernandez @ 2.3 million - We stole this one off one of those lower market teams

SP - Jake Peavy - 2.3 Million - arbitration is coming.
SP - Matt Clement - 6.5 Million - Traded away becasue we couldn't keep him.
SP - David Wells - 5.5 Million - Even his wife would have shut up if we had enough cash.
SP - Kevin Brown - 15 Million - well with a 120 million payroll we to could of tossed in airplane rides to Georgia too.
SP - Adam Eaton - 2.6 million - Its his year, just watch.

SU - Otsuka - 0.8 Mil
CL - Hoffman - 7 Mill

hmmm
Dream on I guess ... I still gotta finish the pen but up to now, I have only spent roughly 85 Million. I still have 35 million dollars to blow. This is disgusting ..

Lets see.
* I'll ship Eaton to Arizona for Randy Johnson and assume his whole contract. Theres 13 Million.
* I can throw 1.5 million at Wade Miller, don't know if he can pitch or not, but ya know, 'Just in case' ..
* Oh wow... This puts me into the Beltran Sweepstakes too, looks like Jenkins goes to the bench. Better yet, I'll trade Giles. He stunk last season, his production was way down. Actually, the more I think about it, Brian Giles is a piece of chit who can't perform in pressure situations and he has to go. Just trade his ass. So minus Giles, plus Beltran thats another 7 Million per ..

and that leaves me with roughly 15 millon for my pen and bench..
Sickening ... Just sickening ..
I am TRYING to spend 120.00 million and I am having difficulty.
and I have at my count, 4 players making 14 million or more, and still can't spend 120 mill.

what a joke it must be living in La La land ..

when does real baseball start? :-t

Curious to how long that took. Surely you could have done something better with your time :-b , but point taken.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Jivedude » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:41 am

Yeah well what if the Expos could have kept all their players? Randy, Pedro, Vlad, Larry Walker, Alou, Wetteland. Now that would have been an impressive team.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers