strategy question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

strategy question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

strategy question

Postby ebrage » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:46 pm

Say you get a late 1st round pick and get Santana, do you then draft a couple more stud pitchers and run away with pitching categories? In my league we start 5 SP's and in years past I've had 2 stud Sp's but if your other 3 starters are worse than average they can wreck your era and whip in a hurry.
ebrage
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:13 pm

Without knowing the specifics of your league I'd say no. Let's say you're draft position #12 in a 12-team league. You grab Santana at 12 and your second pitcher at 13. In that scenario you don't draft that first bat until 36 which would be far too late for my taste. If you're going to grab a pitcher in round one I think you should grab a bat in round two. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby El Gaupo » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:Without knowing the specifics of your league I'd say no. Let's say you're draft position #12 in a 12-team league. You grab Santana at 12 and your second pitcher at 13. In that scenario you don't draft that first bat until 36 which would be far too late for my taste. If you're going to grab a pitcher in round one I think you should grab a bat in round two. ;-)

and probably another bat in round 3
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chiuondis » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:36 pm

if you were to have the #11 or 12 picks, i'd suggest you get 2 power batters and go pitcher 3rd and 4th if u want balance...

the way you want to draft, i agree you would dominate pitching BUT your hitting would be crappy....

I suggest go for either balance or batting ... bc pitchers go hot/cold all the time.. and i love pickin up pitcher sleepers...

i dont like gettin all pitching.. it prolly wont work to ur advantage .. but good luck and let us know how ur draft comes out
chiuondis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RugbyD » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:59 pm

It doesn't matter how many starters you have if you're working on an IP or start limit. If you MUST start 5 and/or have a high IP req, then taking 2 studs early might work out if you just pick up scraps in the bottom half of the draft for your other 3. As a disclaimer, I have a knack for pitching evaluation, so I can get away with this better than most.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby koondog » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:59 pm

Its really hard to put all of your chips with SP. Injuries seems to plague them much more so. On a 12-team league, and having the #12,#13 picks, I would probably take 2 stud bats, and get 1 SP in round 3.

although if santana with still available with #12, I would consider him, and probably pass.
koondog
College Coach
College Coach

Re: strategy question

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:40 pm

ebrage wrote:Say you get a late 1st round pick and get Santana, do you then draft a couple more stud pitchers and run away with pitching categories? In my league we start 5 SP's and in years past I've had 2 stud Sp's but if your other 3 starters are worse than average they can wreck your era and whip in a hurry.

i like to grab my ace within my first 3 picks(most of the time),,,but it all depends on how the players are falling to me......get the best available....if santana and rj are the best available then by all means draft them, and base the rest of your team around those 2 aces......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby renegade_accountant » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:45 pm

bat
bat
arm
bat
speed/closer
arm
bat
speed/closer
bat
bat
arm
arm

...something like that. You never know who's going to be avail, though.
renegade_accountant
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Re: strategy question

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:00 pm

ebrage wrote:Say you get a late 1st round pick and get Santana, do you then draft a couple more stud pitchers and run away with pitching categories? In my league we start 5 SP's and in years past I've had 2 stud Sp's but if your other 3 starters are worse than average they can wreck your era and whip in a hurry.

I would look into discovering the relatively unknown world of MR pitchers - some of those guys are insanely valuable relative to their price. There are a number of 4 cat studs who will help in Ws occasionally and get great %s and Ks - but they only pitch 70 or so innings. You can get them basically off the WW and if you end up with 2-3 of them, they combine to give you numbers as good as if not better than even the elite SPs. This strategy allows you to load up on hitters in the earlier rounds rather than SPs.

Note - this is not the "Lima" plan, but a variation of it. Where the Lima plan says pass on SPs early and load up on value SPs much later, this MR plan suggest less waiting on the top tier SPs (grab a couple relatively early) and rather than trying to find the breakout SPs later, load up on the elite MR pitchers in the last rds.

Just something to think about.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dans » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:04 pm

The only problem with the MR strategy (which definitely can work) is that you need to commit to it for the long haul. If your MR has 1 bad outing (5 runs in 2/3 IP), which happens to even the best, then it will take him a month to get his ERA/WHIP back down.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers