Return to General Talk

After Christmas Specials

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

After Christmas Specials

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:32 am

NYY World Series Ring $40,000

A's World Series Ring $32,000

Miami Herald wrote:link

As he builds a new life in Southern California -- thousands of miles from the Westchester home where he grew up -- Jose Canseco can laugh and say, ``I told you so.''

With baseball's steroid controversy raging, the timing couldn't be better for the release of Canseco's book, Juiced, which is due out in mid- to late-January, and will be preceded by an interview with Mike Wallace on CBS' 60 Minutes. A secret preliminary copy, which agent Doug Ames said is not the final version, accuses several big-name baseball players of using steroids.

Canseco, 40, said he's not surprised Barry Bonds used steroids and estimates 75 percent of players take them. ''Are they testing the guys they know are using steroids? No,'' Canseco relayed to me through Ames.

Canseco's life after baseball remains bizarre. Having sold his 1988 AL MVP plaque for $30,000 and his Rookie of the Year ring for $5,100 on eBay, the Coral Park High grad is parting with everything that meant anything in his career.

''Baseball is over,'' Canseco said through Ames. ''I don't care. I'm doing my new life, which is acting.'' Ames insists Canseco ''doesn't need the money'' but is devoid of sentiment. ''We sold the MVP plaque because it was sitting around and the dogs were eating it,'' Ames said.

He has sold at least 50 pieces, including All-Star Game rings and a jersey that Roger Clemens gave him. Soon, Canseco will sell his possessions from his 40/40 season in 1988: the 40th home run ball, the 40th stolen base, a bat, his shoes and a jersey. Asking price: $150,000.

And there's no shortage of suitors. A fan in California, perhaps in need of medication, paid him $90 for a 15-year-old Canseco blowup doll. Canseco sold his Mercedes for $65,000 because ''he has five cars and only a three-car garage,'' Ames said.

Now living in Encino, Calif., Canseco remains on probation for a bar brawl for another three months. But his visit with his probation officer earlier this month was the last time he will be required to return to South Florida. ''He can't stand Miami,'' Ames added. ``He'll never go back.''

Canseco, who has a street near Coral Park High named in his honor, takes acting lessons daily and will star in an action film to be shot next month in Charleston, S.C. The public can bid $2,500 to spend a day with him on the set.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:57 am

A bit surprised that they are so cheap. The Yankee ring looks sweet, and I'm not a Yankee fan. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:06 pm

Should have sold them on ebay
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby kentx12 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:23 pm

I cant believe he is selling all this stuff unless they are telling a slight lie and he is in need of money.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby irishdude103 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:51 pm

kentx12 wrote:I cant believe he is selling all this stuff unless they are telling a slight lie and he is in need of money.

i would guess that is why he is doing it, if i ever won a WS ring i would never let it out of my sight let alone sell it
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:18 am

kentx12 wrote:I cant believe he is selling all this stuff unless they are telling a slight lie and he is in need of money.

Thats why I posted this .. I can't beleive that he would just sell it all for 150,000 ... What a joke. What a loser. Fans should boycott his book, since he has decided to basically boycott baseball in this fashion. Why reward idiocy.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:29 am

wrveres wrote:What a joke. What a loser. Fans should boycott his book, since he has decided to basically boycott baseball in this fashion. Why reward idiocy?

Wait one second.... Aren't you a Padres fan?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jivedude » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:46 am

wrveres wrote:

Thats why I posted this .. I can't beleive that he would just sell it all for 150,000 ... What a joke. What a loser. Fans should boycott his book, since he has decided to basically boycott baseball in this fashion. Why reward idiocy.

If I was a baseball player I'd sell all that junk too. I'd probably give it to a charity though and let them sell the stuff and keep the money.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:53 am

Jivedude wrote:
wrveres wrote:

If I was a baseball player I'd sell all that junk too. I'd probably give it to a charity though and let them sell the stuff and keep the money.

why ?
I understand the charity angle, but why get rid of it?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Jivedude » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:38 am

wrveres wrote:
Jivedude wrote:
wrveres wrote:

why ?
I understand the charity angle, but why get rid of it?

It wouldn't be worth anything to me so I might as well give it away so someone else could benefit.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk