I Hate To Bring Up Politics, But I Have To For This - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I Hate To Bring Up Politics, But I Have To For This

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I Hate To Bring Up Politics, But I Have To For This

Postby JTWood » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:06 am

Yushchenko declares victory in Ukraine re-vote

I had to post this because I am ecstatic to see Democracy run its course despite incomprehensibly strong resistance from the "old powers" of the Communist Eastern Bloc reminants.

KIEV, Ukraine (CNN) -- Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko declared victory early Monday in Ukraine's presidential election, telling supporters it is the dawn of a new political era in the former Soviet republic.

Although final results will be released Monday morning, Yushchenko had a huge lead in early returns, and exit polls indicated he would defeat Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych.

Yushchenko, who was poisoned with dioxin during the campaign, told tens of thousands of supporters who had massed in Independence Square, "After today, everything is going to change in the Ukraine."

"For 14 years, we were independent, but we were not free," he said. "This is a unique, clear political victory, an elegant victory from the people who have proved their power."

The bitterly contested race was a repeat of a November 21 election whose results were thrown out because of widespread fraud. Yanukovych won the official count by 2.7 percentage points in that election.

In response, Yushchenko supporters gathered daily in the square, calling for another election. Sunday night, they gathered in celebration.

"Today, the Ukrainian nation and the Ukrainian people have won. The Ukrainian people have won," Yushchenko said.

Three exit polls released just after the voting ended showed him with a 12- to 20-point lead lead over Yanukovych, who was backed by Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Yanukovych told reporters that he still believed he could win -- but that if he did not, he would fight as an opposition voice in parliament.

With ballots from just over 60 percent of precincts counted, Yushchenko was leading 56 percent to 40 percent, The Associated Press reported, citing election officials.

For many in Ukraine, Sunday's vote portended positive developments.

"I am very happy that our Ukrainian people rose up and fought for freedom and democracy, and I think that we will have our victory," a Yushchenko supporter said.

Watching for fraud

About 12,000 international observers were on hand for the vote.

Although no official reports on the legitimacy of the election were immediately available, one top observer said he saw good things throughout the day.

After visiting a handful of the 33,000 polling sites, Bruce George, head of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe's International Monitoring Group, said he saw a "good atmosphere."

"The polling stations that I have been to have been very, very orderly, well-run, no difficulties, full number of members of the polling commission, policemen discretely available," he said. "No trouble here. I just hope the other 33,000 are as good as this."

Yushchenko campaign officials expressed confidence the election results could not be "stolen" this time.

Ties to the West

The election will determine Ukraine's relationship with Europe and Russia. Yushchenko has stronger ties to the West than does Yanukovych.

The winner will face the challenge of uniting the country and building stability. Ukraine is divided geographically, with people in eastern and southern regions of the country largely supporting Yanukovych and those in other areas, including Kiev, mostly backing Yushchenko.

Amid the turmoil of the past month, many government institutions have barely functioned.

If Yushchenko wins, he will also face the challenge of building a relationship with Russia.

Outgoing President Leonid Kuchma has called on whoever loses to congratulate the winner the next day to help build stability. Asked whether he would call Yushchenko if the polls prove accurate, Yanukovych said he would do so, with regret.

He has argued that the new election was unnecessary and unconstitutional. But international monitors condemned irregularities and fraud in last month's vote, and Ukraine's supreme court ultimately ruled the results invalid.

The Constitutional Court ruled Saturday that parts of the electoral changes recently adopted by Ukraine's parliament were unconstitutional.

The court found that limits placed on voting at home for disabled people violated their civil rights. The ruling reverted to the original law, which allowed a broad category of disabled people to vote at home.

CNN's Jill Dougherty in Kiev contributed to this report.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:38 am

you bring us good news JTWood ;-D

ukrainians seem to have made the right choice in a fair election this time. hope this is the beginning of something good for that country.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby so0perspam » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:13 am

My ADD does not allow me to read a lengthy article, especially on the Ukranian government. :-b Lay the SparkNotes version on me. :-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby JRM4833 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:38 pm

That's awesome!!! ;-D ;-D Gotta love Democracy. To anyone who missed the aftermath of the rigged election, here is the before and after pic of the newly victorious candidate who was poisoned for wanting what is best for Ukraine.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:17 pm

yayyyyyyyy
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:11 pm

JRM4833 wrote:That's awesome!!! ;-D ;-D Gotta love Democracy. To anyone who missed the aftermath of the rigged election, here is the before and after pic of the newly victorious candidate who was poisoned for wanting what is best for Ukraine.

8-o talking about aging 50 years overnight.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:46 pm

Anyone else have the feeling that both of those guys are scam artists? I just don't trust any leader from Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:35 pm

Hail Josef Stalin!!!!!
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:50 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Anyone else have the feeling that both of those guys are scam artists? I just don't trust any leader from Eastern Europe or the former Soviet Union.

Baby steps. This guy's better than the other, and hopefully the next will be better than him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby perlick29 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:55 pm

The Ukraine is weak...

I AM FROM THE UKRAINE!!!!!!!

Look pal, we're playing a game here.

NO ONE SAYS THE UKRAINE IS WEAK!!! YOU KNOW WHAT I DO? i TAKE A YOU BOOARD AND I SMASH IT INTO PIECES!!!!!!!!!

Always loved that episode. Mazel Tov ;-D Ukraine!
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk