Hitters or Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hitters or Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:15 am

hitting! of course if you have santana you have to keep him, but i'd rather have hitters as keepers than pitcher and i'd rather have SPs than closers.

it was mentioned that if the league is leaning heavily towards hitting then you should go after pitching...well, i have to disagree with that. say everyone is taking hitters and you are the only one stacking up on pitching...you figure you will win every week just because of your picthing staff, but you will end up losing in the hitting categories and that can be a problem in the long run, because i think it's easier to spot a pitcher having a good season than a hitter, which means that good value can be found in the WW during the season. you can always spot start a SP and be rewarded, but if you pick up some hitter in the FA for only a day, it's likely he won't do anything for your team, while a SP can affect the result of that particular week. pitchers are just too unpredictable. he can have a good outing and not get the win cuz his team didn't score a single run or the bullpen blew it. you can have a better idea on the production of a hitter than a pitcher. you can almost always count on delgado for a 30-100 season, but can you trust kerry wood for a 17 win season? i never checked the numbers on this, but it seems to me that more pitchers have breakout seasons than hitters. every year you can snag a chris carpenter or a doug davis from the WW.

i think if the league is leaning towards hitting...you should treat it like when some lunatic drafts a closer in an early round and then everyone else start drafting closers. you feel that it's not the time to draft any closers and that there's a guy you really want in your team that is still available, but if you don't draft a closer before they are all gone, you gonna end up with Aquino closing for you.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:58 am

Top tier pitchers have a good chance of disappointing. I built an offensive keeper squad last season, with a pitching backbone named Halladay.

My average $ pitchers gave me a big advantage, but had I spent big bucks on them, my offense would have been too weak to get me by.

Use your top picks on solid, consistent bats (ex. Helton, Abreu and Rolen), then make sure to get the best bang for your buck with potentially big dividends arms (ex. Harden, Bonderman, Lieber and Tomko).
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:57 am

there are only a few pitchers i'd consider taking in the first round and that is if i'm like pick #12 and can take back to back picks. I almost always take hitters first unless i'm just doing a mock draft.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Dans » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:42 pm

A couple years ago I tried a strategy where I spent more money on pitching than hitting - I figured that since everyon always spends more on hitting, I could run away with the pitching categories and still do well enough in the hitting categories to compete. Not even close. My star pitchers all had down years - RJ, Hudson, Morris, Oswalt. And my hitting suffered tremendously. You can't predict pitching like you can hitting so you need to draft hitting early.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby JDD » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:52 am

Don't forget to "keep" pitchers who can also hit.

(best of both worlds, see?)
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:47 am

JDD wrote:Don't forget to "keep" pitchers who can also hit.

(best of both worlds, see?)

welcome to the cafe mike hampton ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers