Hitters or Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hitters or Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hitters or Pitchers?

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:00 am

For a keeper league, which would you rather have going into going into next season...A better hitter hitting team or a better pitching team? Is there a difference??? I know theres a certain strategy on draft day that people like to take hitters in the first round, now is there also a strategy that goes along with keepers?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:01 am

Hitters, i rarely ever take pitchers in the first round
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:05 am

I think the Lima plan carries over to keepers pretty well. If you go back and look pitcher value in your league last year, you'll probably notice that a large majority of it was fodder available in round 10+. Keep your ace(s) but other than that I'd lean heavily toward the hitting.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Trot Nixon » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:08 am

Would this be a vaild arguement? If everyone lean towards hitting, wouldn't it be smart to stack up on pitchers?
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:13 am

Trot Nixon wrote:Would this be a vaild arguement? If everyone lean towards hitting, wouldn't it be smart to stack up on pitchers?

You can base your strategy around drafting pitchers high (and win I'd imagine) but it's riskier. Hitters are much safer bets and they don't seem to fluctuate as much from year to year. Also, it is much easier to draft good value pitchers in the mid to late rounds than it is hitting.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mocabeenow » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:10 am

i think in a head to head league, loading up on pitching is a good strategy.
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby irishdude103 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:48 pm

Hitting is generally a better bet than Pitching imo because like Amazinz said they're stats don't vary as much as pitchers from year to year. But if all the GM's in your league are going for hitting and hitting only i might suggest taking some more pitchers.
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:11 pm

mocabeenow wrote:i think in a head to head league, loading up on pitching is a good strategy.

Actually, I've known the opposite to be true.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:Would this be a vaild arguement? If everyone lean towards hitting, wouldn't it be smart to stack up on pitchers?

You can base your strategy around drafting pitchers high (and win I'd imagine) but it's riskier. Hitters are much safer bets and they don't seem to fluctuate as much from year to year. Also, it is much easier to draft good value pitchers in the mid to late rounds than it is hitting.

Exactly, look at last years top round pitcher picks, and last years top round hitter picks, and tell me which top round picks performed better in fantasy baseball? The hitters by far.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mocabeenow » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:19 pm

[quote="J35J"][quote="mocabeenow"]i think in a head to head league, loading up on pitching is a good strategy.[/quote]

Actually, I've known the opposite to be true.

Jason[/quote]

I won a league last year using the pitching strategy. I ended up with Schilling, Prior, and Santana, and good closers. But that was the only time i used that strategy, and when i went with the hitting strategy, i won that league too, so i think it just depends on how you manage your team.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers