Wade Miller to have 15+ wins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wade Miller to have 15+ wins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Wade Miller to have 15+ wins?

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:12 am

tlef316 wrote:
Bukoski77 wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:can you expect this from miller is he's healthy

If Healthy?

Isnt he a FA now? Unless he ends up on a awfull team, then 15 wins is a safe bet given a fully healthy W. Miller.

he signed a dirt cheap deal with boston, leading me to believe that he isnt healthy.

If he had signed for that much with the Yankees, would you consider him healthy then? ;-7
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:13 am

Bukoski77 wrote:Doh!!! I took the short bus to the Cafe today. Thnx for updateing me on his Red Sox deal ;-D .

I still stand bye my statement if healthy 15 wins.

IMHO, it will prove to be a heck of a lot better signing for the Red Sox than Matt Clement.

That dirt cheap deal makes me wonder though. What kind of option do the RedSox have on him going into 2006?

If he is fully healthy and knows it, he could be trying to set him self up for one heck of a payday then as he knows full well he isnt going to get it now.

I think I read somewhere that Wade doesn't have enough service time in to be a FA after the year so the Sox would have an option on him.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Wade Miller to have 15+ wins?

Postby tlef316 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:20 am

nsulham wrote:
tlef316 wrote:
Bukoski77 wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:can you expect this from miller is he's healthy

If Healthy?

Isnt he a FA now? Unless he ends up on a awfull team, then 15 wins is a safe bet given a fully healthy W. Miller.

he signed a dirt cheap deal with boston, leading me to believe that he isnt healthy.

If he had signed for that much with the Yankees, would you consider him healthy then? ;-7

no. When a young guy with his early success signs for so little, an elephant sized red flag pops up in my brain. If the Astros thought he was healthy, he'd still be on their team. Still a great risk for the sox though. It was a risk they had to take with the yankees' unwaivering pursuit of the Unit
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedantic » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:16 am

I don't like Miller too much. Rotator cuff injuries are not good. They never go away. And I wouldn't call his injury last year minor. I don't think every pitcher has a tear in his rotator cuff sometime in his career. A tear is a major affair. A strain, perhaps...
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby NZF » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:57 am

The odds are he won't even start 15 games this season.

If he does manage to start 15, which he won't, then I would think the Red Sox would be over the moon.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:03 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:The odds are he won't even start 15 games this season.

If he does manage to start 15, which he won't, then I would think the Red Sox would be over the moon.

I agree with most of the sentiments in this thread so far especially this one. If he was truly capable of winning 15 games the Astros would have at least signed him for what he signed with the Sox unless he was really wanting out of Houston for some reason.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pacman » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:01 am

I think its been stated in the Cafe in other recent Wade threads, but it bears repeating -- for the low base amount, Wade could start the season on the 60-day DL, and not even pitch until later in the season... BUT if he's healthy when playoff time rolls around, and contributes THEN, it will have been WELL worth the investment.

What does that mean from a fantasy perspective? Well I'd say follow his progress closely when pitchers/catchers report in Feb. if he's not all-systems go in early camp, he's probably not a very wise high draft pick. He might be worth grabbing low, if you have room.

If he looks good in Spring Training, and :-o seems healthy, he has the potential to be a solid fantasy starter.

In other words, right now he's a bigger risk to fantasy owners than he is to the Red Sox owners... because the Sox still win even if he doesn't start contributing until late in the season.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:31 pm

the only prediction i've heard so far out anyone who has any knowledge of the injury (not just 3rd party speculation) is he could be ready for opening day. This i find doubtful, but it is the information i have. the year after Pedro tore his Rotator (in may, miller tore his in June) cuff he started opening day and pitched the whole season, he finished second in the Cy Young voting that year.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers