Backup catchers AL only - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Backup catchers AL only

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Backup catchers AL only

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:36 am

Merry Christmas everybody.
In your mind what backup catcher ( AL only ) will get the most playing time ? And what are your projections ? AB's and standard 5x5 numbers. I have Rod Barajas as my first catcher at $1.00 and I want to fill the second catchers spot with somebody that will play alot and be cheap. Posada, Lopez, Irod and Varitek are taken the rest of the starters will go for $3.00 or more. Looking to save money for regulars and get as much as I can for my money.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Gaupo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:24 pm

Molina's brother, Jose Molina ?, I recalled had alot of playing time last year. I would not be surprised if " the backup catcher from Boston ????" too much egg nog I can't remember anything, could get more time. I recall his #" being above average for a back up. :*) :*)
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:22 pm

Looking for AL only. Mirabelli is the back up in Boston. looking for somebody that may get 300-325 AB's
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:27 pm

What about Inge?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:21 pm

J Buck is a good option, but he won't be a backup now that benito is out of KC.

i'm actually looking for the same guy i was looking for last year. matt lecroy in MIN. he was injured most of 2004 and end up being a disappointment for most people. MIN has an overrated C in mauer and he also wasn't healthy. lecroy will prolly play DH and 1B, but he has C eligibility for 2005.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:16 pm

Mathew Lecroy is a great example. I forgot about him.He did have a dissapointing season and may be forgotten by some of my league members. He is owned by somebody at 6.00 which may be a stretch right now but if I can get him without giving up much might be worth hanging onto until ST. Thanks for the reminder. He does qualify at fist and catcher. 23 and 26 games at each. Our league reqiures 20. Any others ?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

Postby El Gaupo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:31 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:J Buck is a good option, but he won't be a backup now that benito is out of KC.

i'm actually looking for the same guy i was looking for last year. matt lecroy in MIN. he was injured most of 2004 and end up being a disappointment for most people. [b]MIN has an overrated C in mauer and he also wasn't healthy[/b]. lecroy will prolly play DH and 1B, but he has C eligibility for 2005.

Why the overrated part?
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:44 pm

El Gaupo wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:J Buck is a good option, but he won't be a backup now that benito is out of KC.

i'm actually looking for the same guy i was looking for last year. matt lecroy in MIN. he was injured most of 2004 and end up being a disappointment for most people. [b]MIN has an overrated C in mauer and he also wasn't healthy[/b]. lecroy will prolly play DH and 1B, but he has C eligibility for 2005.

Why the overrated part?

why mauer is overrated? cuz there's too much hype about him. he was named baseball america #1 prospect and fantasy owners look at that and figure to take mauer early. looking at his numbers in the minors he has not hit more than 5 HRs in a year. last year he had 6HRs in the big leagues, but he couldn't stay healthy. he's overrated cuz he hasn't proved anything yet, but fantasy owners treat him like he's a superstar. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby crapshooter » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:40 pm

My back up catcher in the AL last season was Adam Melhuse with the As...although he only got a little over 200 at bats he did hit 11 home runs which isn't bad for a $1 catcher.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers