D-Backs Saves, Aquino VS Valverder. Is there a front runner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D-Backs Saves, Aquino VS Valverder. Is there a front runner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D-Backs Saves, Aquino VS Valverder. Is there a front runner?

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:37 am

I havent seen either of them pitch and well frankly dont know who has better stuff. Who throws a better fastball, curve, broader pitch selection,......etc.........

My personal fantasy intrest would be for Aquino, free keeper in my league LOL.

As soon as Valverde got hurt last year, Aquino stepped in and out performed him in WHIP and ERA. Aquino's 1.16WHIP to Valverde's 1.348 and Aquino's 3.057 ERA to Valverde's 4.247 ERA while Aquino pitched 5.6 more INN than Valverde.

Aquino K'd .07 baters per INN while Valverde out performed him with 1.3 batters K'd per inning.

Going into last year the D-Backs liked Valverde enough to shop Mantei openly.

After Aquino filled in just fine after Valverde got injured, is there a clear cut favorite going into spring training or will it be an open competition for the closer job?
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Bump, any D-Back fans around here know anything about this one?
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:31 pm

i'm not a Dback fan (thank god :-b ) but from what i've read so far here in the cafe, Aquino should start the season as the closer in 2005. i've never seen him or valverde pitch, so i can't help ya on who has better stuff.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:53 pm

i claimed jvalverde in 03 around the all star break and had a nice ride (i think he had a win and 6 saves in a 10 day period)and i claimed aquino last year in early july and was rewarded..valverde has more talent, throws harder, and will K more but aquino has a wicked slider ..some in arizona have questioned valverde's makeup and think his arm angle and motion may lead to continued injury problems..the job is aquino's to lose but i will be looking to grab mkoplove and bbruney and any other bullpen fodder who may get their chance later in 05
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby stumpak » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:04 pm

Do a search--I have Valverde in a keeper league and did a thread on this a few weeks back and a few people tossed in some opinions.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby San D » Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:14 pm

Aquino is the frontrunner, but he had never pitched effectively until his closer stint last year. Also, he got racked (5.25 ERA) in the Domincan Winter League. I believe he loses his job early to Valverde.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:34 pm

I would go with a healthy Valverde between the two. Aquino had never closed a game in his life (Minors/Majors) prior to last season. Valverde had been groomed to the position for a few seasons now. Also I wouldn't rule out the Diamondbacks going out and signing somebody ... ..

Oh and don't rule out Brain Bruney ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby trevisc » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:15 pm

Aquino is the front runner but all thier closers suck so i'd expect a closer by committee approach with Aquino probably getting the bulk of saves
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby San D » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:34 pm

trevisc wrote:Aquino is the front runner but all thier closers suck so i'd expect a closer by committee approach with Aquino probably getting the bulk of saves

Unfortunately for Diamondback fans, that's a pretty accurate statement. :-b
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:22 pm

I'm another one of those guys who grabbed Valverde as a FA in '03 and enjoyed his stretch run. He's got wicked stuff with a great K/9 rate and, if healthy, will play a prominent role in that pen somewhere. In a league that counts holds, it would be a no-lose to snare him somewhere in the later rounds.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers