SATELLITE RADIO - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

SATELLITE RADIO

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:57 pm

Ok my cousin just got satellite radio...

First he got Xm but said it was all Lame Christina Aquiliera crap...

So they got Sirius..which has way more classic rock...Also, Sirius gets the NFL games and you can listen through your computer anywhere you are...

Go Sirius
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:27 pm

I honestly did not think there was a difference between Sirus and XM. I thought XM was like AM/FM radio (type of wave form instead of brand or radio station) and Sirus was just a brand of receiver and they were offering some NFL package with their receiver.

I have not looked into it that much, but you have to pay 120 a year for the service? (10/month) That is crap.

How is it for other sports, such as college? I dont think you get any SEC games on there and only limited other conferences.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:10 pm

BigMusky wrote:I honestly did not think there was a difference between Sirus and XM. I thought XM was like AM/FM radio (type of wave form instead of brand or radio station) and Sirus was just a brand of receiver and they were offering some NFL package with their receiver.

I have not looked into it that much, but you have to pay 120 a year for the service? (10/month) That is crap.

How is it for other sports, such as college? I dont think you get any SEC games on there and only limited other conferences.

I believe that XM gets Nascar, MLB, and college games while Sirius get NFL, NBA, and NHL games.

EricF.......Are you saying that I will need to pay extra to get the MLB games??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby EricF » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:02 pm

Lofunzo,

I was only saying that MLB requires a subscription to hear games over the computer. I'm not aware that XM will charge a premium to hear baseball; I sure hope not!

On another note, XM carries college sports for ACC and Big Ten. I don't think SEC sports are on satellite radio.

By the way, BigMusky, if you don't want to pay $10/month, fine, don't do it. It's worth it to me because of all the variety I can't get in my local market, the MLB deal to carry all major league games, and the commercial-free music.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:17 pm

EricF wrote:Lofunzo,

I was only saying that MLB requires a subscription to hear games over the computer. I'm not aware that XM will charge a premium to hear baseball; I sure hope not!

On another note, XM carries college sports for ACC and Big Ten. I don't think SEC sports are on satellite radio.

By the way, BigMusky, if you don't want to pay $10/month, fine, don't do it. It's worth it to me because of all the variety I can't get in my local market, the MLB deal to carry all major league games, and the commercial-free music.

Thanks for the clarification. I am wondering whether MLB games will be a premium service. XM is $3/month cheaper than Sirius but they also bang you for a few premium channels.

I believe that the breakdown of sports is:

XM - Nascar, colege sports, and MLB.
Sirius - NFL, NBA, and NHL.

That, combined with the 2 times a year that I would listen to Howard Stern made my decision a little tougher but I am going with XM. I am just waiting for an adaptor that is on backorder. :-/
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:14 pm

I may be behind the times, or old fashioned, or both, or whatever, but I'm in absolutely NO hurry to start paying to listen to the radio.

As long as there are local sports talk stations on AM, and decent classic rock stations on FM, I'll put up with the commercials and stick with the free stuff.

If I want to saturate myself with 80s hits (not that there's anything wrong with it), I can listen to CD mixes or my mp3 player.

I do realize that I sound like everybody probably did when cable television first appeared on the horizon (not seeing the need to pay for TV service), but there will need to be more than Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern to convince me that pay-radio is for real. Perhaps full MLB or NFL packages will change my tune, but even that seems like too little to commit to a monthly radio bill.

Just my two cents.

Peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:23 pm

Pacman wrote:I may be behind the times, or old fashioned, or both, or whatever, but I'm in absolutely NO hurry to start paying to listen to the radio.

As long as there are local sports talk stations on AM, and decent classic rock stations on FM, I'll put up with the commercials and stick with the free stuff.

If I want to saturate myself with 80s hits (not that there's anything wrong with it), I can listen to CD mixes or my mp3 player.

I do realize that I sound like everybody probably did when cable television first appeared on the horizon (not seeing the need to pay for TV service), but there will need to be more than Opie & Anthony or Howard Stern to convince me that pay-radio is for real. Perhaps full MLB or NFL packages will change my tune, but even that seems like too little to commit to a monthly radio bill.

Just my two cents.

Peace

And that is a fair assessment. ;-D I just happen to always be looking for ways to spend my entertainment dollar. That and the fact that my new job will have me in the car a lot.
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Lofunzo wrote:That and the fact that my new job will have me in the car a lot.

Large stuffed crust meat lover's with extra cheese and it better be here in 30 minutes or less. }:-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:39 pm

Madison wrote:

Large stuffed crust meat lover's with extra cheese and it better be here in 30 minutes or less. }:-)

No problem. It might be missing a slice or 2. O:-)
Lofunzo

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:00 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:

No problem. It might be missing a slice or 2. O:-)

Lol. :-D

Then bring it in 31 minutes so that way it's free. ;-D

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk