SATELLITE RADIO - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

SATELLITE RADIO

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SATELLITE RADIO

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:50 am

Other than getting Howard Stern in the near future, is there really any difference between the providers?? Which 1 is the best?? Why??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:24 am

XM is the best...because they signed the contract to carry all MLB games. :-D

Seriously though, I would only get XM. I get the feeling that they will be around longer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:32 pm

slomo007 wrote:XM is the best...because they signed the contract to carry all MLB games. :-D

Seriously though, I would only get XM. I get the feeling that they will be around longer.

Do you know the main differences?? I have seen comparisons but they mainly talked about sound quality and not programming differences.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:24 pm

All I remember is that XM has like 2 million subscriptions compared to Sirius 500,000

People are saying Sirius might turn into the Beta of Sat Radio
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:07 am

Lofunzo wrote:
slomo007 wrote:XM is the best...because they signed the contract to carry all MLB games. :-D

Do you know the main differences?? I have seen comparisons but they mainly talked about sound quality and not programming differences.

AFAIK there are no main differences. Sirius has NFL, whereas XM has MLB. That would probably classify as the main difference. I would like to have coast/coast coverage of ESPN Radio personally....trying to get sports updates while travelling can be almost impossible.

Quality wise I think they're about the same....I think XM costs about $10/month for the first receiver and $6 for any more. I am not sure what Sirius costs.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pablo975 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:51 am

I've worked in radio for 13 years, and here's my two cents: The differences are TINY. Both have reception issues which will be erased as more cars are produced with XM/Sirius receivers built in. Don't buy the crappy install kits....the sound quality SUCKS. Buy a car stereo that is compatible (for my money, Alpine).

The reality of XM/Sirius is that the music programming is eclectic.....if you like bluegrass or some other niche format. There are a lot of channels, but the current music channels (top40, rock, alternative, country, etc) sound JUST LIKE regular stations in your area which are free.....so if that's what you want satellite for....pass on it.

IMO, the strength and future of satellite is the talk/sports programming. Stern, O&A, NFL, MLB, and Comedy Central are available and I think they'll eventually develop more of their own talent to keep fresh shows on.

The music.....hell, get it on Itunes......

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby acsguitar » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:52 pm

When ever I hear the words satellite radio I like to follow it with the words "Is Cool" ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Pablo975 wrote:I've worked in radio for 13 years, and here's my two cents: The differences are TINY. Both have reception issues which will be erased as more cars are produced with XM/Sirius receivers built in. Don't buy the crappy install kits....the sound quality SUCKS. Buy a car stereo that is compatible (for my money, Alpine).

The reality of XM/Sirius is that the music programming is eclectic.....if you like bluegrass or some other niche format. There are a lot of channels, but the current music channels (top40, rock, alternative, country, etc) sound JUST LIKE regular stations in your area which are free.....so if that's what you want satellite for....pass on it.

IMO, the strength and future of satellite is the talk/sports programming. Stern, O&A, NFL, MLB, and Comedy Central are available and I think they'll eventually develop more of their own talent to keep fresh shows on.

The music.....hell, get it on Itunes......

Thanks for the breakdown. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby EricF » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:56 pm

I got XM Satellite Radio for Christmas, and I love it! I didn't even consider Sirius because XM's deal with MLB is for many years. Every game will be broadcast. If you get MLB audio from the MLB web site, you can listen to each team's broadcast. It's my understanding that XM will not broadcast both teams' feeds; they will pick the most attractive of the two to broadcast. I may miss out on my favorite team's broadcasters, but at least with XM I won't have to be at a computer to hear it. In fact, I sprung for the more expensive MyFi, that comes with a personal antenna and ear buds so you can listen when you're not near a stereo. (You do have to find a place with good reception, as Pablo675 implies.) XM is also planning a 24/7 baseball channel.

As for the music, there are many more stations than you can get in almost any local market. As has been mentioned, it's very eclectic and you can listen to almost any music format. I know the sports and news talk channels are very interesting, but for now, at least while baseball is not going on, I can't get past the music. It's terrific.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:22 pm

acsguitar wrote:All I remember is that XM has like 2 million subscriptions compared to Sirius 500,000

People are saying Sirius might turn into the Beta of Sat Radio

Dont knock Sirius out quite yet - the contract with Ford is a huge boon for them, they recently agreed to a joint operation with Microsoft, and they have announced they will be offering video feeds soon.

I do think the projection numbers for subscribers is way overblown however - as you guys mentioned, it wont replace free radio antime soon, and the ONLY way it does is if the content is that much better, and frankly I have a hard time believing it is. We'll see.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk