Giambi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortsavage » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:16 am

I have Jason Giambi 18th in my first base rankings. He is right between Carlos Pena and Nick Johnson, two players that I would much rather gamble on.

Giambi had enough injuries for a lifetime last season. I don't see how any rehab could correct his damaged frame and immune system. My bet is that he Jose Cansecos it from here on out.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:27 am

rich101682 wrote:
TeamCaptain#2 wrote:Steroids do not increase your batting average, they don't help you hit the ball that much further (10ft max says SI).

I think Giambi will be BETTER this year.

I dunno about that. I don't think they would be banned if they just put an extra 10 feet on your flyballs. Anyone got any links or info?

I thought they helped you tear away and recover muscle better. If that's the case, there's no way to put a cap on how much they could help you. That doesn't make sense to me.

I agree with what you wrote except the 10 feet part. Even if it added an extra 1 inch, it should be banned, IMHO.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:25 am

Lofunzo wrote:Even if it added an extra 1 inch, it should be banned, IMHO.

:-?

I think I got an email or two on this subject

X-I
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:29 am

Only an extra ten feet max? Anyone here know a lot about physics or have The Physics of Baseball? I don't understand how SI could say that conclusively with a straight face.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:26 am

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Only an extra ten feet max? Anyone here know a lot about physics or have The Physics of Baseball? I don't understand how SI could say that conclusively with a straight face.

There's no way they know that. Too many factors. That's either made up or taken out of context.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lesgrant » Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:
FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Only an extra ten feet max? Anyone here know a lot about physics or have The Physics of Baseball? I don't understand how SI could say that conclusively with a straight face.

There's no way they know that. Too many factors. That's either made up or taken out of context.

It sounds a lot like the “90% torn” statement regarding Pedro’s shoulder.

It’s very disturbing that the media is now evolving to where they make things up out of thin air to support their angle (or their source’s angle) on the story. And, of course, the more the media loses credibility behind ridiculous “facts” like that one, the more they’ll make up. Is it me or is this stuff on the rise?

With respects to Giambi, I think he’ll be a decent sleeper. The big IF for me is whether or not he comes out in the spring and continues to swing for power. If so, then .250 is as good as it’s going to get.

If he can actually hit (he will see many more pitches than in the past), I’ll guess .275-.290 with over 100 runs and around 85-100 RBI.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JDD » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:58 pm

Here is my take on drafting Giambi....

Let someone else take the risk.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:49 pm

trevisc wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Even if it added an extra 1 inch, it should be banned, IMHO.

:-?

I think I got an email or two on this subject

X-I

LOL :-b
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers