BH Kim to close? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BH Kim to close?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BH Kim to close?

Postby Sticky Spice » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:27 pm

It's a bit of a leap at this point, but that's what we do to get a leg up on the competition.

Rotoworld said something yesterday about the possiblity of a Kim trade, while speculating that the Brewers or Rockies could be interested.

If it shakes out that way, wouldn't that put him right in the mix for saves if he agrees to go back to relieving? Off the top of my head, he's never really been a bust as a closer. In fact, he seems to excel there and his K rate goes up dramatically. Also going back to relieving might ....relieve his injury problems.

Any other thoughts?
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:42 pm

As long as he doesnt face the Yankees in the WS, I think he'll be a decent closer.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Spiegs1106 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:41 pm

what kind of player would the sox look for?
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:27 pm

Starting pitching or middle relief....those are the only weaknesses I see.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thedude » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:38 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:what kind of player would the sox look for?

prospects. they wouldn't really care if he is Major league ready because the 25 roster is pretty much full
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:24 pm

He's just too talented as a SP to be a closer for one of those teams. I think if he goes to someone they would be wise to utilize him as a SP.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby XTSilver » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:51 pm

I would not waste a pick on this guy. I held out hope for him for the longest time citing his age and his talent but with the injuries and the crushed ego I'm going to say this guy will never be worth fantasy mention again.

With that said...here's to hoping he stays with the Sox and does rebound.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Gaupo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:17 am

trevisc wrote:He's just too talented as a SP to be a closer for one of those teams. I think if he goes to someone they would be wise to utilize him as a SP.

If healthy he could start or close. I think any team he is traded to would want him to be a sp. and I think the sox are looking for prospects .
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:50 am

trevisc wrote:He's just too talented as a SP to be a closer for one of those teams. I think if he goes to someone they would be wise to utilize him as a SP.

How do we know he's talented as a SP? He's never been consistent, he's not proven to be durable health-wise nor in regards to IP/start, and his effectiveness seems to dramatically decrease when he starts. Heck, with all his injury problems I don't know that he's EVER put together a decent string of starts for us to judge.

With his funky motion it also seems in his best interests to not let the opposing batters get so many looks at him.

Could you imagine him starting in Colorado? EGADS! :-o

Another thing to keep in mind is that from what I remember seeing on the internet last season, Kim never regained his velocity.

As far as fantasy goes, I've got him at $11 and it would take him being named full-time closer for him to be worth keeping. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath ;-) No way is he worth $11 as a starter anywhere until he proves something.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:55 am

Sticky Spice wrote:

How do we know he's talented as a SP? He's never been consistent, he's not proven to be durable health-wise nor in regards to IP/start, and his effectiveness seems to dramatically decrease when he starts. Heck, with all his injury problems I don't know that he's EVER put together a decent string of starts for us to judge.

With his funky motion it also seems in his best interests to not let the opposing batters get so many looks at him.

Could you imagine him starting in Colorado? EGADS! :-o

Another thing to keep in mind is that from what I remember seeing on the internet last season, Kim never regained his velocity.

As far as fantasy goes, I've got him at $11 and it would take him being named full-time closer for him to be worth keeping. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath ;-) No way is he worth $11 as a starter anywhere until he proves something.

I agree completely.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers