Don't Sign Those Keeper Contracts For Too Long - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Don't Sign Those Keeper Contracts For Too Long

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Don't Sign Those Keeper Contracts For Too Long

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:13 am

Otherwise, you could be paying your guys after they're dead...

CNN.com wrote:LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- There's a 1-in-300 [.33%] chance that a recently discovered asteroid, believed to be about 1,300 feet long, could hit Earth in 2029, a NASA scientist said Thursday, but he added that the perceived risk probably will be eliminated once astronomers get more detail about its orbit.

There have been only a limited number of sightings of Asteroid 2004 MN4, which has been given an initial rating of 2 on the 10-point Torino Impact Hazard Scale used by astronomers to predict asteroid or comet impacts, said Donald Yeomans, manager of the Near Earth Object Program at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.

No previously observed asteroid has been graded higher than 1.

On Friday, April 13, 2029, "we can't yet rule out an Earth impact," Yeomans said. "But the impact probability, as we call it, is 300-to-1 against an impact."

The asteroid was discovered in June and rediscovered this month.

"This is not a problem for anyone and it shouldn't be a concern to anyone, but whenever we post one of these things and ... somebody gets ahold of it, it just gets crazy," he said.

"In the unlikely event that it did hit, it would be quite serious. We're talking either a tsunami if it hit in the ocean, which would be likely, or significant ground damage," Yeomans said.

Its estimated size has been inferred from its brightness, which assumes that its reflectivity is similar to other asteroids that have been observed. At about 1,320 feet in length, it would have about 1,600 megatons of energy, Yeomans said.

Asteroid 2004 MN4 takes less than a year to go all the way around the sun and on each orbit it passes by Earth's orbit twice, Yeomans said. It is also nearly on the same plane as Earth's orbit.

The asteroid will be visible for the next several months and the NEO program has alerted its network of ground-based observers to include 2004 MN4 in their searches.

Yeomans said there have now been about 40 observations, first from the observatory at Kitt Peak, near Tucson, Arizona, and this month from Australia and New Zealand.

For those of you interested, 1,600 megatons is approximately 96,746 times the amount of energy released by the Hiroshima nuclear bomb.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:18 am

8-o 8-o 8-o

everyone!

PANIC!!!!

run away!!! RUN AWAY!!!!

;-7
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:19 am

And because scaring people sells papers (or, in this case, gets hits), here's a picture of earth being destroyed, compliments of CNN.com:

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:23 am

I am now taking bets from anyone who that this will hit the earth. I'm feeling strong enough that it will not hit Earth that I will give 600-1 odds. If we are all still alive in 2028 then I will be around to collect.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:02 pm

Tavish wrote:I am now taking bets from anyone who that this will hit the earth. I'm feeling strong enough that it will not hit Earth that I will give 600-1 odds. If we are all still alive in 2028 then I will be around to collect.

LOL. I'll also take bets that within 5 billion years, Earth will get melted by the Sun. If I'm still around, I will definitely collect. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rico The Retard » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:14 pm

put me down for $400 that the earth gets hit in 2030 instead ;-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:19 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:put me down for $400 that the earth gets hit in 2030 instead ;-D

Good enough, I'll take the bet. If the world is annihilated in 2030 feel free to collect, if not I'll be looking you up.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby ensanimal » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:19 pm

Tavish wrote:I am now taking bets from anyone who that this will hit the earth. I'm feeling strong enough that it will not hit Earth that I will give 600-1 odds. If we are all still alive in 2028 then I will be around to collect.

i'll bet $1 it does hit the earth ;-) ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:29 pm

Movie turned real life? 8-o

Guess we need to send a drilling crew up there and have them blow it up. Lol. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby irishdude103 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:41 pm

Madison wrote:Movie turned real life? 8-o

Guess we need to send a drilling crew up there and have them blow it up. Lol. :-b

lol i vote Rico
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk