Eckstein - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Eckstein

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eckstein

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:16 am

I read that we signed him. I like him. If he really does have a better OBP than Renteria, than this may be a blessing in disguise. Can you imagine a leadoff hitter on this team? I mean, a real leadoff hitter? Someone for Walker, Pujols, Rolen, & Edmonds to drive in? Could be just what the team needed, and for much less than Renteria (hopefully - haven't seen the contract details yet).
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:20 am

Well he has a career OPS of .700 and he will be 30 by opening day. I don't know If I would say he is going to see an increase in fantasy value, but I think its a good overall signing by the STL. It was basically the best of what was left available anyways. Jockety seemed to get the short end of the stick in the SS sweepsatkes this offseason. I would gamble that Eck will see an increase in runs, but his SB and BA numbers will stay about the same .
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby stevethumb » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:03 pm

just to get the #s right..once in the last 5 years has deckstein had a higher OBP and a higher OPS than erenteria..last yr renteria 331/732 and eckstein 326/658..look for eckstein to have his usual 3 HRs and 30 RBI and .275 BA..his value as a fantasy player is runs and SB (probably 90+ and 20 in that lineup).defensively he is steady but has a very weak arm..as wverves said he is a decent alternative since nomar renteria cabrera vizquel guzman were gone..hard to believe but he is one year older than renteria
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:19 am

I was oringinally oposed to signing him when it was first brought up, but the more I think about it he is probably the best fit of what was realistically in STL's price range. He's a steady defender (the most important thing needed at SS for this team IMO), more of a true leadoff hitter than anyone in house, from what I've heard he's a good clubhouse guy, and the price is very mangable compared to other SS signings so far. Now they'll have some cash freed up to maybe go after a better 2B and another arm for the rotation/pen. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:03 am

I'm not thrilled about the Eckstein signing. He is good defensively but with his arm I think he is more suited for 2B. And I wouldn't call him a true leadoff man either. But with what other options there were and the low $, I'm not disappointed either.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:23 pm

I've heard rumors that the Cards are getting closer to signing Cora. I'm not sure how legit those are, I've only seen them at other Cardinal forums. :-? Anyway, if they do land Cora would he be a better fit at SS? I don't know much about him. I do know that he's a very good fielder but does he have the arm strenght issues of Eckstien? That appears to be the only thing holding the enthusiasm on Eckstien in the field from what I've read.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 pm

i believe cora came up as a ss. he should be able to handle the position. eckstein has supposedly said he is open to playing 2b. i dont know that they will make the switch but if they wanted to they could.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals