Cardinals / Eckstein agree on 3 year deal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cardinals / Eckstein agree on 3 year deal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:50 am

chinch sacs wrote:
JTWood wrote:We go from one SS who was on a WS-winning team to another SS who was on a WS-winning team. We know he's spunky, and I can guarantee you that those guts will make him a popular player in St. Louis.

Didnt you guys have another infielder with spunk last year? I think he was a 2b man... where did he go?

If you're talking about Bo Hart, I have no idea what happened to him other than that he's been back in our farm system since then. I don't know why he hasn't seen playing time. I would guess that he's still a great fielder and that his bat had a rarified uptick when he was under the spotlight.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby grammysboy » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:16 am

I had wondered about Bo too. He is a master with the glove, but fell off a cliff with the bat. I assume he still figures into the Cards middle infield plans.

Eckstein is a gutsy player who will find favor with the Stl Louis fans quickly. My only concern is his arm strength which IMO is more suited to 2B. It will be interesting to see what they paid him.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:40 am

grammysboy wrote:My only concern is his arm strength which IMO is more suited to 2B. It will be interesting to see what they paid him.

I was surprised to read that the contract was 3 years, so I am very curious about the pay, too.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:06 am

El Gaupo wrote:I hope they are trying to save $$ at SS in order to spend elsewhere

the money they saved has already been spent on mulder. i am not terribly excited about eckstein but he should do ok. i would have preferred two years and an option over three guaranteed.

Didnt you guys have another infielder with spunk last year? I think he was a 2b man... where did he go?

bo hart's batting average took a real nose dive after the first few weeks in the majors. that was back in 2003. since womack had a career year, bo was left in AAA where he hit .299 last year. i am still not convinced he can hit consistently at the major league level but he could be a backup.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby pomplona's finest » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:35 am

As a Cards fan, I like the idea of having Eckstein manning the SS spot, he has an intensity about him that should be much appreciated.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby reiser » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:03 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:I reckon the Cardinals had to make that signing. Eckstein has plenty of guts, has very good defense and knows how to get on base. His OBP last season was Top 10 among SS (quite a bit ahead of Renteria) and his K's were the lowest among all SS with over 500 AB's. For fantasy purposes his value also increases. He will likely play 150 plus games and batting leadoff in that stacked lineup will be an excellent late round pickup in a position that lacks real depth.

you know i completely agree...there probably isn't a better leadoff hitter in baseball in terms of PPA, which he leads year in and out. what a nightmare for picthers. he could potentially get his steals up too in St. Louis, as i think some of those opportunities were going to Figgins in Anaheim.

10M, 3 years, pretty good value . i don't believe the Cards are particularly stacked in the farm system either.

the Angels letting him go, and then signing Cabrera just after they got Macier makes no sense to me.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ensanimal » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:14 pm

for those who needed to know his salary...

David Eckstein - SS - Cardinals

According to ESPN.com, David Eckstein received a three-year, $10.25 million contract from the Cardinals.
He gets a $250,000 signing bonus and salaries of $2.25 million, $3.25 million and $4.5 million. We were thinking $4 million per year, so this isn't quite so bad. Dec. 23 - 8:55 pm et
Source: ESPN.com
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 110)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:24 pm

I really like this signing, and yea this was a pretty obvious move by the Cardinals. I think in the next year or two the Cards may move him to 2B and sign a different SS, just a guess. I love Eckstein in StLouis, he'll follow the Bo Hart, Joe McEwing paths to stardom.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby stevethumb » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:05 pm

fantasy-wise, deckstein's 3 HR and 30 RBI .275 BA will do nothing for your team (and there are no fantasy categories for guts and spunk)....his lone value is the 20 SB he will probably get .. and as for real ball, he is a decent defender who has an arm that makes omar vizquel's look like vlad's ... his #s from last year are quite similar to rfreel's (except freel stole 2x as many bases)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:59 pm

JTWood wrote:We go from one SS who was on a WS-winning team to another SS who was on a WS-winning team. We know he's spunky, and I can guarantee you that those guts will make him a popular player in St. Louis.

I agree and on any other team, I would hate this move but I bet that he does well in St. Louis. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers