Sox re sign Varitek 4/40 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sox re sign Varitek 4/40

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:09 pm

TeamCaptain#2 wrote:Vazquez For Manny I say.

You know, These two teams may never make a trade with each other for the next 100 years, but I think the Sox would consider that trade if the Yanks took all of Manny's contract
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:10 pm

You know, These two teams may never make a trade with each other for the next 100 years, but I think the Sox would consider that trade if the Yanks took all of Manny's contract
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:17 pm

From rotoworld.com
The Red Sox have to know that's more money than they should be spending to keep Varitek, but if Theo Epstein can keep finding bargains elsewhere, then overpaying to keep the "heart and soul" of the team probably won't be too harmful.
Aww makes you get all warm and fuzzy inside
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:26 pm

El Gaupo wrote:

It seems like the Sux would accept a dirty sock if someone would eat that contract for them. !+)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Amazinz wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:

It seems like the Sux would accept a dirty sock if someone would eat that contract for them. !+)

Maybe, although I might be the only one in the cafe advocating that.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:14 pm

They surely overpaid for him but with all of the turnover on that roster, they needed him back. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby blankman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:24 pm

Lofunzo wrote:They surely overpaid for him but with all of the turnover on that roster, they needed him back. :-?

I don't see how despite his salary they and their fans can seem so desparate to get rid of him. Honestly, without Manny, that offense is not longer terribly scary, with Ortiz being the lone player that I as a Yankee fan would be at all afraid of.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:29 pm

blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:They surely overpaid for him but with all of the turnover on that roster, they needed him back. :-?

I don't see how despite his salary they and their fans can seem so desparate to get rid of him. Honestly, without Manny, that offense is not longer terribly scary, with Ortiz being the lone player that I as a Yankee fan would be at all afraid of.

I can only speak for myself, but I want Manny right where he is. He's a great hitter.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:53 pm

blankman wrote:

they won't get rid of him now, at least i doubt it... the plan was to dump manny on the Mets, rape thier farm system, then take the 20 million plus they saved and invest in Beltre and Drew, and prehaps Delgado.

So they would have had a lineup of:

Damon
Renteria
Beltre
Ortiz
Delgado
Drew
Nixon
Varitek
Mueller

i find that a little scary.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:35 pm

thedude wrote:they won't get rid of him now, at least i doubt it... the plan was to dump manny on the Mets, rape thier farm system, then take the 20 million plus they saved and invest in Beltre and Drew, and prehaps Delgado.

Don't believe everything Gammons writes. He's a delusional Sox fan. The deal as reported in the NY media (maybe not entirely accurate but closer than Gammons) was Manny/Doug M. for Floyd.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers