Sox re sign Varitek 4/40 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sox re sign Varitek 4/40

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:39 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Pacman wrote:he is GREAT at working with pitchers (ask anyone who he's ever caught)

What's Tim Wakefield's phone number? :-D

Just kidin... but I think it's a bit much for him. Strange for Theo to throw that much cash at hm though :-? Surely he didn't get the NTC. One of Boston's best moves was having that clause in Manny's contract that he gets a NTC if any ther Red Sox does. That way when they're negotiating saying they can't include a NTC the player and his agent know it isn't political BS used as a bargaining chip, they know they actually can't use it - or won't use it, however you wanna look at it.

I heard on the radio he did not get a no trade clause

Not to change the subject, but after this year doesn't Manny become a 5 and 10 Guy thus essentially having a NTC. If this is true it might make sense as to why they are trying to move him.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:50 pm

this is the way I see it. Theo signed varitek at 8 million a year market value and then another 2 million a year for leadership. Being a huge Red Sox fan, I realize how much he means to the team. He is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen play the game and he is great in the community. Overall, for what varitek does for the team, he deserves the other 2 million
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nomar88423 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:52 pm

Varitek is well worth the 10 million he is getting. I mean this guy is the undisputed leader of the Red Sox, no questions asked. He handles pitchers like no one else, works hard, never complains, and he puts up exceptional offense numbers to top it all off. Good move, Theo.
nomar88423
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TeamCaptain#2 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:55 pm

Varitek is not worth 10 million, hes not worth 8. In my opinion giving tek 40 over 4 is going to take the red sox out of the beltran race.
TeamCaptain#2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:57 pm

TeamCaptain#2 wrote:Varitek is not worth 10 million, hes not worth 8. In my opinion giving tek 40 over 4 is going to take the red sox out of the beltran race.

sox were never in the beltran race
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TeamCaptain#2 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:59 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:
TeamCaptain#2 wrote:Varitek is not worth 10 million, hes not worth 8. In my opinion giving tek 40 over 4 is going to take the red sox out of the beltran race.

Tell that to someone else.
TeamCaptain#2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:59 pm

El Gaupo wrote: Not to change the subject, but after this year doesn't Manny become a 5 and 10 Guy thus essentially having a NTC. If this is true it might make sense as to why they are trying to move him.

hey, if the Mets wanna giveup thier whole farm system (to quote Gammons) for Manny, im game.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:04 pm

TeamCaptain#2 wrote:
Spiegs1106 wrote:

Tell that to someone else.

The sox FO loves Beltran, but as long as they have Manny they will not make a run at Beltran
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TeamCaptain#2 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:05 pm

Vazquez For Manny I say.
TeamCaptain#2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:06 pm

umm ya, Anywhosss Tek getting 10 mil at the age of 36...yikes

But with that being said, WELCOME BACK TEK!
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers