Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:12 pm

If true have at it guys. I hope my links works

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ ... -headlines
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:15 pm

im happy he is back. But think that is too much money for an aging catcher.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:19 pm

:-P
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:32 pm

slomo007 wrote::-P

I agree
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:33 pm

Probably the one move they have may this off season that I don't like. The Sox' s FO had him as their top priority Maybe Bill James and Theo see value in him beyond the stat sheets.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:56 pm

thedude wrote:im happy he is back. But think that is too much money for an aging catcher.

Other than the time Tek broke his elbow diving for a baseball, and landing on a rubber batting circle mat, he's never had any other serious injuries in his career. He takes excellent care of himself, he is GREAT at working with pitchers (ask anyone who he's ever caught), and is a more than decent switch-hitting bat in the middle of the Boston lineup.

He's also the leader (captain, if you will) of this team. I'm very pleased he'll be a Red Sox for at least four more years... it's certainly a lot of money, I agree. But I'm still really happy he's staying. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:02 pm

that's a lot of money. theo was on a good streak of nice signings, but v-tek at 4/40. wow. it will be good for the sox that he'll stay in boston. there have been some interesting contracts this off-season. v-tek getting 4/40...what will beltran get?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:10 pm

Pacman wrote:
thedude wrote:im happy he is back. But think that is too much money for an aging catcher.

Other than the time Tek broke his elbow diving for a baseball, and landing on a rubber batting circle mat, he's never had any other serious injuries in his career. He takes excellent care of himself, he is GREAT at working with pitchers (ask anyone who he's ever caught), and is a more than decent switch-hitting bat in the middle of the Boston lineup.

He's also the leader (captain, if you will) of this team. I'm very pleased he'll be a Red Sox for at least four more years... it's certainly a lot of money, I agree. But I'm still really happy he's staying. ;-D

jonny bench had never playede less than 114 games in a season when he was 32. after the age of 32 he missed a season injuried and played catcher only 13 more times before retiring at the age of 35. nothing agianst tek, i'm a big fan of the guy, but catchers don't age well.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:15 pm

Pacman wrote:he is GREAT at working with pitchers (ask anyone who he's ever caught)

What's Tim Wakefield's phone number? :-D

Just kidin... but I think it's a bit much for him. Strange for Theo to throw that much cash at hm though :-? Surely he didn't get the NTC. One of Boston's best moves was having that clause in Manny's contract that he gets a NTC if any ther Red Sox does. That way when they're negotiating saying they can't include a NTC the player and his agent know it isn't political BS used as a bargaining chip, they know they actually can't use it - or won't use it, however you wanna look at it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:16 pm

thedude wrote:
jonny bench had never playede less than 114 games in a season when he was 32. after the age of 32 he missed a season injuried and played catcher only 13 more times before retiring at the age of 35. nothing agianst tek, i'm a big fan of the guy, but catchers don't age well.

No doubt, catchers DO break down as they get older. Johnny Bench developed knee problems that eventually ended his career. What I was saying above is SO FAR, only a freak injury (diving) has shelved Tek for any length of time.

There's absolutely risk involved in signing Tek or any 30-something catcher to 4-years. But the fact that they DID sign him speaks volumes about how much Red Sox management values this player.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers