Beltran offer increased - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran offer increased

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dicehound » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:16 pm

I'd love to see him stay in Houston where I think he will continue to thrive under Garner. That hill in CF scares me though.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:24 pm

Even George is not that stupid, I would never wanna top that offer.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:21 pm

Zito is God wrote:Even George is not that stupid, I would never wanna top that offer.

have you seen bernie play the outfield lately?
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:34 pm

Zito is God wrote:Even George is not that stupid, I would never wanna top that offer.

thank you. Is it just me or is there still some risk with this guy. he has hit more than 30 homeruns only once, and while playing for the ROYALS for six full years was only slected to one allstar game. That means he was only the best player on a terrible team one time. Think he is a great player with a ton of potenial, but i don't think he is thje second coming of Willie Mays. In fact i think there is a bigger chance of him being Brady Anderson than Mays.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:42 pm

thedude wrote:

thank you. Is it just me or is there still some risk with this guy. he has hit more than 30 homeruns only once, and while playing for the ROYALS for six full years was only slected to one allstar game. That means he was only the best player on a terrible team one time. Think he is a great player with a ton of potenial, but i don't think he is thje second coming of Willie Mays. In fact i think there is a bigger chance of him being Brady Anderson than Mays.

He is the second coming of Andre Dawson, so 16 million sounds about right. If Willie Mays was a free agent now they would talking be in the A-Rod pay rank. As far as All-Stars appearances go, the Royals don't get players elected on the All-Star team, its a disadvantage of not having nearly enough ballot stuffers. When you leave the choice in the hands of a manager you get Royal All-Star reps like Jose Rosado.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby tool069c » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:46 pm

thedude wrote:

i think the dude needs a clue, 4 straight seasons of 100+ bi and runs, 35+ SB, and 24+ HR's, and everyyear has bested the prior one...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:56 pm

Tavish wrote:
thedude wrote:

He is the second coming of Andre Dawson, so 16 million sounds about right. If Willie Mays was a free agent now they would talking be in the A-Rod pay rank. As far as All-Stars appearances go, the Royals don't get players elected on the All-Star team, its a disadvantage of not having nearly enough ballot stuffers. When you leave the choice in the hands of a manager you get Royal All-Star reps like Jose Rosado.

if he had a career deserving of more than 16 million a year, then when the royals best player is selected for the allstar team (as one is every year) then he would have gone every time instead he only went once in his career year. To desreve this type on contact he should have been the obvious best player more than just once. yes he has great potenial, but to lock a player up on a long term deal for 17/18+ mil/yr on potenial is crazy. look a Darren Dreifort... (i know; it is a hyperbole)
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby dicehound » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:03 pm

I still think Bobby Abreu is just as good of a fantasy option as Beltran is, and at a much better price.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:18 pm

dicehound wrote:I still think Bobby Abreu is just as good of a fantasy option as Beltran is, and at a much better price.

And if Abreu were a free agent this winter he'd get a HUGE contract! He's a great player.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers