Floyd/Sosa/MikeSweeny Rumor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Floyd/Sosa/MikeSweeny Rumor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Floyd/Sosa/MikeSweeny Rumor?

Postby btownfu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:11 pm

Has anyone heard anything on Flyod going to the cubs, Sosa going to KC, and Mike Sweeny going to the Mets? My friend left me a voicemail about this but he didnt mention where he heard it and i cant get in contact with him now.
"In aquiring a player with a good record you are building backwards, building a great past"
-Bill James
btownfu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:20 pm

The rumor is a couple weeks old and came out of the Chicago Tribune. There hasn't been much mention of it in the NY papers and one KC article scoffed at it. I think it's a bit of a stretch because the Cubs would have to eat an awful lot of Sosa's salary for KC to be interested.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby btownfu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:37 pm

Yeah, that's what i figured. That would be a sweet deal though!
"In aquiring a player with a good record you are building backwards, building a great past"
-Bill James
btownfu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:39 pm

btownfu wrote:Yeah, that's what i figured. That would be a sweet deal though!

For who? They all suck. I would say the Mets are getting the better side...but it's more like the better side of an obese convention.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby btownfu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:42 pm

Your right, none of them are exactly Men of Steel but i figure with the mets ridding of floyd's contract they would, knock on wood, freeing up money for Beltran.

While at the same time filling the 1st base hole with a decent bat and glove and veteranship for the young infield.
-Bill James
btownfu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:45 pm

btownfu wrote:Your right, none of them are exactly Men of Steel but i figure with the mets ridding of floyd's contract they would, knock on wood, freeing up money for Beltran.

While at the same time filling the 1st base hole with a decent bat and glove and veteranship for the young infield.

Good point...I can see how you would want this deal...as long as the contracts go with the players. :-o
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby btownfu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:51 pm

And I am assuming Sweeny's contract is nowhere near Floyd's.
-Bill James
btownfu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:53 pm

btownfu wrote:Your right, none of them are exactly Men of Steel but i figure with the mets ridding of floyd's contract they would, knock on wood, freeing up money for Beltran.

I agreed with you up until you called Sweeney a decent glove. Sweeney makes Piazza look like a gold glove 1B. When healthy Sweeney has a great 1B bat, but it is now to the point where it is unreasonable to put the "if healthy" tag on him. The Royals have been looking for a way to move him for quite awhile now but I highly doubt they will get anything worthwhile in return for him and instead just bite the bullet and pray.
Last edited by Tavish on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:54 pm

I don't know about the lengths of their contracts...but I was surprised to see that Floyd's 2004 salary was $6.5M while Sweeney's was $11M.

Maybe you don't want that trade.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:58 pm

Isn't Sweeney a converted catcher? :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers