Where would you draft Prior in relation to other pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where would you draft Prior in relation to other pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:08 am

i have prior 4th...

rj
santana
schilling
prior
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:29 am

Right now I have it....
Santana
Prior
RJ

But if RJ does indeed go to the Yanks then he moves ahead of Prior IMO.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby btownfu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:29 am

I would have to put prior ahead of schilling, if you are to say their injuries are a wash i think prior leapfrogs schilling and you can even make a case for pedro now pitching in shea
"In aquiring a player with a good record you are building backwards, building a great past"
-Bill James
btownfu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:45 am

RJ
Santana
Schmidt
Oswalt
Hudson
Peavy
Prior
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:20 pm

Ok now don't get me wrong, I am a huge Jacob Peavy fan. But may I ask, what is the rational as to rating him higher than Mark Prior? Is it injury concerns? Cus I clearly remember Peavy missing most of May and all of June last season. :-?

I mean Peavy will never have a K/9 like Prior, and if you banking on Jacobs ERA repeating, that seems a bit foolish don't ya think?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:26 pm

The difficulty here is trying to discuss Prior's value in December. It all depends on how he shakes out in spring training, obviously. Right now, I'd target him in round 3-4 as a late top-10 starter. But if he rolls into April at 100 percent, then I'm looking at

Santana
Prior
RJ
Schmidt
... et al
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:28 pm

wrveres wrote:Ok now don't get me wrong, I am a huge Jacob Peavy fan. But may I ask, what is the rational as to rating him higher than Mark Prior? Is it injury concerns? Cus I clearly remember Peavy missing most of May and all of June last season. :-?

I mean Peavy will never have a K/9 like Prior, and if you banking on Jacobs ERA repeating, that seems a bit foolish don't ya think?

wv - dont you know - the only thing that matters is what they did last yr. Since Prior was injured and Peavy had a great season, its bound to continue that way. Nevermind that Prior was considered by most people one of the best young arms to enter the majors in a decade - he's "injury prone", see? Nevermind that the surgery he underwent is very common and the success rate for a full recovery is extremely high. Peavy wasnt injured and had a better season - therefore he should be ranked higher. Ben Sheets too. ;-D

For those with sarcasm detectors, they should be going off right about now.
;-7
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: Ben Sheets too. ;-D

;-7

lmao ..

yeah I was going to comment on that one too. But I figured it was best to just focus on the home front. :-°
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
wrveres wrote:Ok now don't get me wrong, I am a huge Jacob Peavy fan. But may I ask, what is the rational as to rating him higher than Mark Prior? Is it injury concerns? Cus I clearly remember Peavy missing most of May and all of June last season. :-?

wv - dont you know - the only thing that matters is what they did last yr. Since Prior was injured and Peavy had a great season, its bound to continue that way. Nevermind that Prior was considered by most people one of the best young arms to enter the majors in a decade - he's "injury prone", see? Nevermind that the surgery he underwent is very common and the success rate for a full recovery is extremely high. Peavy wasnt injured and had a better season - therefore he should be ranked higher. Ben Sheets too. ;-D

For those with sarcasm detectors, they should be going off right about now.
;-7

Peavy is a solid young pitcher in a fantastic pitchers' ballpark. Prior is an amazing young pitcher coming off an injury in the toughest offensive division in the NL, possibly in the Majors. I will admit that Peavy was borderline above Prior, but I just trust him more this season for some reason...call it personal preference I guess.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:34 pm

For much the same reason I would take Peavy over Sheets or Zambrano. God knows all the pitchers has great talent but I am completely unsold on how good any of them will be in 2005. I err on the side of the park they pitch in and that puts Peavy ahead. From the looks of things with so many having Prior #1 or #2 I most likely won't even have to make that choice.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers