Giant's back-up outfielders? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giant's back-up outfielders?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giant's back-up outfielders?

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:31 am

Since the Giants are going to be running the senior citizens into the outfield, what's the quality of the Giant's back-ups? Do they have anything in AAA that will help? Dunno why I think one of the old-timers will get injured at some point next year... just a guess.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jivedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:36 am

Well, they still have Michael Tucker.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:41 am

The Giants have some decent short-term filler options in the minors as well. Tony Torcato has gotten the job done at every level. Francisco Santos could be another option. But I don't think the Giants will hand any of their minor leaguers long-term, full-time jobs even if there is an injury.

Keep in mind that Bonds plays quite carefully and wears armor when he bats. Grissom is no longer fast enough to be in danger. And Alou renews his good luck by peeing on his hands. It's not like this trio is Griffey risky.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:25 am

Torcato is not gonna be anything anybody wants. He is not that strong and his very poor plate discipline. He's the type of guy who could come in and hit .280 in majors and not hit double digit homers. Basically, after Bonds, there are no other good hitting OFers on their team.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby TownDrunk » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:31 am

Bonds, Grissom, and Alou will be the starting OF's unless the Giants bring in a defensive minded CF.

Bonds and Alou both will get drafted. Grissom is a guy who is always overlooked. I always manage to pick him off the waiver wire, and he always helps my team.

As for the backups, Tucker can play all 3 spots (notice how I didn't say well though :-b ) The 5th OF spot will probably go to CF Jason Ellison. Very strong defensively, and he has some speed. However, not worth owning in fantasy leagues.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby stevethumb » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:16 pm

have the giants totally given up on todd linden ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby shortsavage » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:27 pm

trevisc wrote:Torcato is not gonna be anything anybody wants. He is not that strong and his very poor plate discipline. He's the type of guy who could come in and hit .280 in majors and not hit double digit homers. Basically, after Bonds, there are no other good hitting OFers on their team.

John Manuel wrote:Tony Torcato just doesn't hit enough to be a corner OF or 1B. Very little strength or plate discipline, and singles-hitters who are middling fielders with no speed who hit about .280 in MLB (which is about what Torcato would do) aren't in demand. He's a role player at best.

I was just reading that on Baseball America and I saw some similarities. Hehe, you could have sited your source so that I would have been able to find this interview more quickly.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:43 pm

stevethumb wrote:have the giants totally given up on todd linden ?

Linden did hit 23 bombs in AAA Fresno in 2004, but he struck out 149 times while he drew 63 walks.

His numbers during his time in the majors last season are not even worth looking at. They are ugly and he was given sporadic playing time.

Linden has not helped his case this winter, hitting .229 in the Venezuelan winter league with 29 strikeouts and 6 walks.

He is still only 24, but his star is fading. Todd Linden will have to be a rock solid OF next season in AAA Fresno if he ever wants to make a fantasy splash.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Return to Baseball Leftovers