Cafe League System - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe League System

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:52 am

stevethumb wrote:
trevisc wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:Ugh, I just can't get over the frustration that is H2H. Please, someone tell me why I should play H2H? Am I missing out?

h2h to me is about a new rival every week. You against me. mono y mono. You want some of this punk? Bring it on!!!

It's all about that kind rivalry that you build throughout the years, especially in a keeper league, that makes it awesome to me.

I love H2H

;-D
mono y mono ?!?! that is one sick league !! :)

LMAO. :-D

Think you mean mano a mano, Trev. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:23 pm

Roto every time. It's a lot more accomplishment to beat 15 different owners over the course of the entire season than a hot 2-3 week stretch in the playoffs.

There are certain cases in H2H where I'd see winning it (like going the whole season with 2-3 losses) as gratifying as Roto.

You can't simulate everything "as is" in the real MLB. In championships in MLB (i.e. the playoffs), they aren't resting their stars as in 'fantasy' championships.

People will always have different tastes. Some like facing someone new each week while others want the best fantasy team over the course of 5-6 months to be the winner.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:40 am

As long as it has a max inning pitch its fine. It doesnt even have to be weekly, because if people churn at the beginning they'll lose every single game down the stretch.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby punturere » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:55 pm

For those who still don't like h2h, you might wanna try this system. It worked pretty good for us last season. Good balance between hitters and pitchers.

Single: 2
Walk: 2
Double: 3
Triple: 4
HR: 5
Steal: 3

Inning Pitched: 3
Earned Run: -2
Strikeout: 1
Win: 2
Save: 9

These were the top performers

Bonds, Barry LF SF 852
Abreu, Bobby RF PHI 792
Beltran, Carlos CF HOU 742
Suzuki, Ichiro RF SEA 738
Helton, Todd 1B COL 724
Pujols, Albert 1B STL 716
Berkman, Lance LF HOU 716
Rodriguez, Alex SS NYY 698
Drew, J.D. RF ATL 695
Edmonds, Jim CF STL 677

Johnson, Randy SP ARI 831
Santana, Johan SP MIN 815
Sheets, Ben SP MIL 770
Schilling, Curt SP BOS 736
Schmidt, Jason SP SF 733
Hernandez, Livan SP MON 716
Rivera, Mariano RP NYY 712
Oswalt, Roy SP HOU 711
Clemens, Roger SP HOU 703
Gagne, Eric RP LA 696
punturere
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:22 pm

I'm surprised no one mention what I feel as the major difference between the two systems is that roto (unless your in a league that you know everyone) is a little boring, it drags along, whereas H2H is something new each week, its not as "slow" feeling. With that being said I like the roto style more but it is definately more fun if you know eveyone in your league.

A ROTO winner is always the better team whereas a H2H winner isn't always.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby BGbootha » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:32 pm

the main difference, and I think it is the biggest difference, is owner participation. Most people who hate Roto, hate it becuase many owners stop playing when it gets toward the middle/end of the season. those who are out are out and they pretty much know it.

with H2H there is a new game each week, there is more excitement toward the end and owners don't realize how horrible thier team actually is.

I would prefer Roto as well, but both of my money leagues are H2H. If you can get into a really good roto league you will love it.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JDD » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:58 am

Old fashioned, points based H2H leagues are a bit more challenging, but are an even worse measure of fantasy prowess.
>><<

yeah, right....

Head to Head, with pitching game limits is about THE ONLY way to test who knows his stuff, and who does not.

Roto? Nice, where else can you ignore three categories and still win your league.

Straight Fantasy Points? Nice too, if you like determining who wins before Labor Day.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:05 am

JDD wrote:Old fashioned, points based H2H leagues are a bit more challenging, but are an even worse measure of fantasy prowess.
>><<

yeah, right....

Head to Head, with pitching game limits is about THE ONLY way to test who knows his stuff, and who does not.

Roto? Nice, where else can you ignore three categories and still win your league.

Straight Fantasy Points? Nice too, if you like determining who wins before Labor Day.

JDD - welcome to the Cafe ;-D

I think you have it backward. Punting catagories is a very common strategy to have in H2H, while trying that in roto is almost a sure way to guarantee you wont win.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shortsavage » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:36 am

Poor pgbridge2000. His thread got hijacked big time.

I like the idea of a ladder system. It would just be really tough to put together and organize (BCS: rating systems cause drama). Lots of people play in multiple leagues too, probably resulting in focus on their bragging rights and money leagues more than a ratings league.

Try to get on the good sides of the regulars so that maybe you get an invite to a solid Cafe league. I know a lot of Cafe leagues were put together last March too, many with people who had only been around the Cafe for a few weeks.

I didn't talk a ton (well maybe I did :-? ) about the NL-only Cafe league that wveres put together and I participated in last season, but I think I earned a smidgen of respect in it. This might be the closest you can get to a Cafe ladder system. Just stick around and I am sure people with similar interests can be found, ready to unite.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:Poor pgbridge2000. His thread got hijacked big time.

I like the idea of a ladder system. It would just be really tough to put together and organize (BCS: rating systems cause drama). Lots of people play in multiple leagues too, probably resulting in focus on their bragging rights and money leagues more than a ratings league.

Try to get on the good sides of the regulars so that maybe you get an invite to a solid Cafe league. I know a lot of Cafe leagues were put together last March too, many with people who had only been around the Cafe for a few weeks.

I didn't talk a ton (well maybe I did :-? ) about the NL-only Cafe league that wveres put together and I participated in last season, but I think I earned a smidgen of respect in it. This might be the closest you can get to a Cafe ladder system. Just stick around and I am sure people with similar interests can be found, ready to unite.

lol ...

yeah, It was only a smidgen ... :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers