Cafe League System - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe League System

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:09 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:Ugh, I just can't get over the frustration that is H2H. Please, someone tell me why I should play H2H? Am I missing out?

The question is, "Do you want to emulate the real game, or do you want to play by a new set of rules?" If you want to emulate the real-life game, H2H is the best fantasy way to do it. If you want to make up your own set of rules, than roto is the way to do it.

It's really a preference. I see neither as being superior, just variations on a theme.

Im pretty sure roto is the original and H2H is the "new set of rules", StlS.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:10 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I guess I would be more apt to play H2H if there were SEVERE ristrictions on WW claims or IP and games played. Jockying the WW is way too common a strategy in H2H, and its just not something I want to deal with.

Dude..it's called a Minimum Innings Pitch and a Maximum Innings Pitched for each week. You have to find the right balance. Right now we are shooting for 12 innings minimum and 75 maximum to keep teams from rotating out their SPs as much and make it harder for them to just throw closers in ther in hopes of winning 3 out of 5 pitching stats.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:10 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
Rkiivs wrote:Ugh, I just can't get over the frustration that is H2H. Please, someone tell me why I should play H2H? Am I missing out?

The question is, "Do you want to emulate the real game, or do you want to play by a new set of rules?" If you want to emulate the real-life game, H2H is the best fantasy way to do it. If you want to make up your own set of rules, than roto is the way to do it.

It's really a preference. I see neither as being superior, just variations on a theme.

Im pretty sure roto is the original and H2H is the "new set of rules", StlS.

I was saying "new rules" because roto is different than the way that competition is set up in the real game. The real game is H2H. I wasn't comparing the age of roto and H2H.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:17 pm

trevisc wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I guess I would be more apt to play H2H if there were SEVERE ristrictions on WW claims or IP and games played. Jockying the WW is way too common a strategy in H2H, and its just not something I want to deal with.

Dude..it's called a Minimum Innings Pitch and a Maximum Innings Pitched for each week. You have to find the right balance. Right now we are shooting for 12 innings minimum and 75 maximum to keep teams from rotating out their SPs as much and make it harder for them to just throw closers in ther in hopes of winning 3 out of 5 pitching stats.

Yup - but you still have completely different strategies in H2H and roto - I dont like the idea that punting a catagory is actually smarter than trying to have a balanced approach.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:21 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
dleoboyd wrote:

No, you're not missing out on anything. H2H is nice for the casual fantasy sports fan, but it is not an accurate scoring method, if you're trying to determine who has the best fantasy mind out there. The league champion is often the guy that makes the playoffs, then happens to have a group of players that get hot for the last month of the season, rendering the first 4-5 months worthless.

*gasp* You mean it's like real life???

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:-b

Can the Cardinals make the same complaint to the Red Sox? After all, we did win more games than they did during the regular season. Those last 4 games just rendered "first 4-5 months worthless."

Oh yeah, H2H is JUST like the real game. ;-7 I love it when I'm in the championship game of a H2H league and a few of my key guys don't play because they want to rest up and prevent injury. That's exactly how it happens in the big leagues.... ;-D
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby pgbridge2000 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:19 pm

I like head to head but as of last year, only when its played with weekly changes. I like it because it restricts the whole, draft 4 good relievers to bring down era and bring up ks and then just place in starters when they have a start. I like to do it much like real baseball: 5 starting pitcher spots, 2 reliever slots (of course this makes closers who count as starters (ala danny graves last year) incredibly valuable as 5th starters). But It means you need a good 5 man rotation, not 2 good starters and 4-5 closers
There are 3 ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
pgbridge2000
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:04 pm

dleoboyd wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
dleoboyd wrote:

No, you're not missing out on anything. H2H is nice for the casual fantasy sports fan, but it is not an accurate scoring method, if you're trying to determine who has the best fantasy mind out there. The league champion is often the guy that makes the playoffs, then happens to have a group of players that get hot for the last month of the season, rendering the first 4-5 months worthless.

*gasp* You mean it's like real life???

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:-b

Can the Cardinals make the same complaint to the Red Sox? After all, we did win more games than they did during the regular season. Those last 4 games just rendered "first 4-5 months worthless."

Oh yeah, H2H is JUST like the real game. ;-7 I love it when I'm in the championship game of a H2H league and a few of my key guys don't play because they want to rest up and prevent injury. That's exactly how it happens in the big leagues.... ;-D
  1. Did I say it was EXACTLY like real life? It's as close as it gets, and if you really, really, really wanted to extrapolate what you described into a real-life scenario, it would simply be the same thing as a player getting injured - and that happens star players in the playoffs all of the time (Scott Rolen, 2003).
  2. The problem you described isn't exclusive to H2H. It also happens in roto.
  3. If you're in a league where the problem you described is a big issue, then your league is not designed well. A good league ends early enough that benched super stars is not a major concern.
Again, I'm not saying H2H is better or that roto is inferior. I'm simply saying that H2H is more like the real game than is roto. That's why I play it exclusively.

Take that for whatever you want to take it for...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:09 am

Give me roto over H2H any day of the week. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:10 am

I've done head-to-head, roto, and points, and roto has been my favorite by far. H2H is a little too arbritrary for me. Points, though less commonly used with baseball, is probably my second favorite, although it's pretty tough to come up with a good scoring system. Roto makes it so that balance is basically required, which I like a lot.

I just have one question with roto: I've noticed that as the end of the season approaches, people with teams that are still competitive but that have holes in certain categories tend to move up, since they pass all the people who are out of contention but aren't trying. For example, let's say someone's in fourth overall but is in eleventh in wins, and the people in eighth, ninth, and tenth in wins are all out of contention. Even if the first person's pitchers are worse, he'll move up unfairly if the others stop paying attention. So my question is, how do you fix this? The only idea I've come up with is splitting up the winnings among more places to keep it competitive, but this only works to a limited extent. Any additional solutions?
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:23 am

trevisc wrote:

h2h to me is about a new rival every week. You against me. mono y mono. You want some of this punk? Bring it on!!!

It's all about that kind rivalry that you build throughout the years, especially in a keeper league, that makes it awesome to me.

I love H2H

;-D
mono y mono ?!?! that is one sick league !! :)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers