Best Rotation 2005 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Rotation 2005

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:20 pm

thedude wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im really not that impressed with the Redsox rotation. Schilling and Clement are there only real threats. Wells is a sideshow. Miller is injured and hasent pitched well since 2002. Arroyo or whoever is just a tossoff anyway.

I really like that Braves rotation trev just posted - that looks damn good.

Im pretty sure noone will argue that the Cubs top 3 instantly make them the best rotation in MLB.

Therefore I rank the top 3 staffs like this:

Cubs
Braves
Yankmes

If NY gets RJ, they will compete with the Cubs for the best in baseball.

i really don't see how the yankees without RJ and with 2 unproven guys like wright and pavano (exactly the kind of players who play great until they pitch in NY and get booed and harassed by the press) are the 3rd best rotation in baseball. Lets not forget that the yankees did not have a 15 game winner last year...

also, i really like the cubs rotation, but saying without a doubt it is the best rotation in MLB is kinda silly. rember they are a NATIONAL LEAGUE team therefore thier pitchers will put up better numbers than AL staffs. MAdduax did have his worst season since Reagon was president last year. Finally, Lets see how well Prior and Wood rebound from thier injuries as well. I really like Zambrano. Rusch had a nice year, but i still am not comfortable with him.

Ok, so then how do you rank them? All you've done is say two staffs aren't that good, but haven't suggested any staff to be better.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:53 pm

dleoboyd wrote:I find it interesting that no one has mentioned the Florida Marlins yet. Josh Beckett and AJ Burnett has are just as talented as Prior/Wood and probably have just as good a chance of staying healthy next year. The Cubs rotation is still a bit better, but I'm surprised no one has these guys on their radar. Dontrelle Willis is a solid #3 SP and Al Leiter would be a great #4 on any team, he's even better in that ballpark.

IMO it goes like this:

1. Cubs
2. Marlins
3. Red Sox
4. Astros (if Clemens returns)
5. Yankees
6. Braves
7. Mets

As it stands now I would have the Marlins third behind the Cubs and the Yankees. Basically, anyway you look at it, the Yankees rotation has got to be second with the quality and depth it possesses. To rank them below the Astros, even including Clemens, is a joke.

Mussina Clemens
Brown Oswalt
Vazquez Pettitte
Pavano Backe
Wright Munro
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:04 pm

blankman wrote:
thedude wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im really not that impressed with the Redsox rotation. Schilling and Clement are there only real threats. Wells is a sideshow. Miller is injured and hasent pitched well since 2002. Arroyo or whoever is just a tossoff anyway.

I really like that Braves rotation trev just posted - that looks damn good.

Im pretty sure noone will argue that the Cubs top 3 instantly make them the best rotation in MLB.

Therefore I rank the top 3 staffs like this:

Cubs
Braves
Yankmes

If NY gets RJ, they will compete with the Cubs for the best in baseball.

i really don't see how the yankees without RJ and with 2 unproven guys like wright and pavano (exactly the kind of players who play great until they pitch in NY and get booed and harassed by the press) are the 3rd best rotation in baseball. Lets not forget that the yankees did not have a 15 game winner last year...

also, i really like the cubs rotation, but saying without a doubt it is the best rotation in MLB is kinda silly. rember they are a NATIONAL LEAGUE team therefore thier pitchers will put up better numbers than AL staffs. MAdduax did have his worst season since Reagon was president last year. Finally, Lets see how well Prior and Wood rebound from thier injuries as well. I really like Zambrano. Rusch had a nice year, but i still am not comfortable with him.

Ok, so then how do you rank them? All you've done is say two staffs aren't that good, but haven't suggested any staff to be better.

I still rank the cubbies one just not head and shoulders above everyone else.

1 Cubs
2 Red Sox >
> these 2 are close but without RJ...
3 Yankees>
4 Braves
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RynMan » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:20 am

I am soo glad someone actually brought up the Marlins, i like their staff. I think all things going according to plan (health wise), I like the Cubs. I don't like either of the Yanks/Sox rotations.

Mussina - In decline
Brown - In decline and unwanted
Pavano - One good season in a great pitchers park, in the NL (in a division with weak offensive teams)
Vazquez - Shakey in 04 but could be the best pitcher on this staff
Wright - He left Mazzone behind in ATL, and has had one good year. Why would any1 give a guy like this a 3 year deal....eh

Schilling - ace
Clement - good pitcher, a little inconsistent, will be in decline from here
Wells - dont get me started why he is gonna get destroyed in 05. coming from one of the best pitchers parks in 04 (which you can thank for his 3.60 ERA, and considering his HR were higher per inning in this park scares me), he's in decline, isn't pitching in a nice warm west coast climate) and has to face a couple of great offenses with alot of big right handed hitters. Bad signing if you ask me - im open to debate!
:-)
Arroyo - will get better but still isn't great
Miller/Wakefield - Miller could be great but rotator cuff injuries are easy to aggrevate. Wakefield is solid,but is in decline.

Im sure im gonna cause a stir with the above comments - judging by how many sox and yank fans we have here. I dont mean any offense, just saying what I think, and as I said, I could be persuaded to think differently if presented with a good argument. :-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Not a stir

Postby GreenMonsterGoon » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:39 am

Actually, I like some of the points you make. But here's my take.

Marlins: I like their rotation too, but I worry about AJ's health.

Yanks: Unless they get Randy, their in more trouble than last year.

Sox: Wells is a concern. I guess I count less on him for the 162 than I do on his ability to walk into Yankee Stadium in Mid October and completely shut them down. I think he will.

Additionally, there is a lot of risk in the Sox rotation. But do you really doubt Theo's ability to go out and get Ben Sheets if they need him. We have Hanley Ramirez (whow we can trade as a result of the Renteria signing) who could easily return Sheets. The Sox have what few teams have...7 Starters. That alone could be huge. A new report on WEEI last night indicated Schilling will be ready for opening day.

so while I worry, I'll take

1. Schilling
2. Clement
3. Miller
4. Wells
5. Arroyo
6. Wakefield
7. Halama

Over at least any AL squad
D-Mat, Schilling, Beckett, and Papelbon - Wow!
GreenMonsterGoon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers