Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox sign Wade Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:36 am

wrveres wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
I don't see what your beef is with this signing of Wade Miller. The guy is not freakin Randy Johnson.. ANY TEAM COULD HAVE HAD HIM, he didn't sign for 4 years 40 million dollars, he signed 1 year 1.5 Million...That back-up first basemen salary there....here's a quote from the article
"The Red Sox were right on it from the beginning," Garber said. "They flew him to town and made him feel welcome. That's what Theo Epstein does. He makes players feel wanted, and they want to come here."
They didn't throw there checkbook around so don't hate the player, hate the game

wrveres wrote:(I will be the first to admit that 1.5 million is a steal)
Then whats your beef?

don't get me wrong, kudos to Theo for jumping all over it. Its a situation were nobody knows what is going to happen with Wade, and Theo took the gamble. Props to him. I mean its not like any other team can just throw a million five at a player that they have absolutely no idea if they can even pitch, so lets just say I hope that Wade isn't able to participate this season, I am sick of the rich getting richer at the expense of others, and the Sox are culprit number one.

Aren't you a hardcore capitalist? Doesn't "the rich getting richer" define what you believe in? Is it hard to face reality when it's in a microcosm that is so easily analyzed?

Just kidding I like capitalism too but it makes for boring baseball so I think it should be changed. Don't know why I was off on a tangent there :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:36 am

I don't usually get heated but this arguement is so silly it got me heated, come on now...think about it, WADE MILLER...wasn't Hudson, Mulder, Johnson, Pavano or even Pedro. If you remember correctly we lost Pedro and we filled him in with 2nd tier players (Clement, Wells, Miller) and not the big names aforementioned. The guy is still injured and might not even pitch one game for the Sox this year, so this signing is nothing to get all worked up about.
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby El Gaupo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:39 am

thedude wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
I don't see what your beef is with this signing of Wade Miller. The guy is not freakin Randy Johnson.. ANY TEAM COULD HAVE HAD HIM, he didn't sign for 4 years 40 million dollars, he signed 1 year 1.5 Million...That back-up first basemen salary there....here's a quote from the article
"The Red Sox were right on it from the beginning," Garber said. "They flew him to town and made him feel welcome. That's what Theo Epstein does. He makes players feel wanted, and they want to come here."
They didn't throw there checkbook around so don't hate the player, hate the game

Then whats your beef?

the red sox.

does any one else find this role reversal as funny as i do. For once the Yankee fans are (im not saying you are a yankee fan wrveres) excusing the bosox of buying everyone.

Only time will tell if the Redsox's are making good moves. Wells at 41, Miller and Matei, both coming off injuries. If they stay healthy the Sox's will have a great chance to defend their title, If not, they will have to make more moves. Should be interesting
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:43 am

Ben Sheets come mid season ;-D If we get him THENNN you can get all worked up about that. I agree though, baseball HAS to change, I've said this many times in the past and I still agree with it now. I really wish they could follow the formula as football with the non guaranteed contracts and salary cap but thats never gonna happen :~( Would make it more fun
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:44 am

El Gaupo wrote:
thedude wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:

Then whats your beef?

the red sox.

does any one else find this role reversal as funny as i do. For once the Yankee fans are (im not saying you are a yankee fan wrveres) excusing the bosox of buying everyone.

Only time will tell if the Redsox's are making good moves. Wells at 41, Miller and Matei, both coming off injuries. If they stay healthy the Sox's will have a great chance to defend their title, If not, they will have to make more moves. Should be interesting

you mean "buy" more players ?
Is that possible ... ?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby Jivedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:50 am

wrveres wrote: I am sick of the rich getting richer at the expense of others.

Lol, sick of the rich getting richer at the expense of others? That's the American Way! Oh and the motto of the republican party too... :-D
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NY Yankees Fan 2004 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:52 am

I am not very happy about this :-t

It was a good signing for Boston, but right now Im pissed off :-t
[color=blue][size=24]2005 Fantasy Baseball Champion[/size][/color]
NY Yankees Fan 2004
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:53 am

wrveres wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:
thedude wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:

Then whats your beef?

the red sox.

Is that possible ... ?
ya its call Free-agency
Thanks chipper!!!!

Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jivedude » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:54 am

Trot Nixon wrote:
wrveres wrote:
El Gaupo wrote:
thedude wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:

Then whats your beef?

the red sox.

Is that possible ... ?
ya its call Free-agency

Yeah dang it, it's all Curt Flood's fault!
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:01 am

So I guess the White Sox also "bought" El Duque away from the Yankees? The NERVE!
Thanks chipper!!!!

Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers