Alfonso Soriano... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alfonso Soriano...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 am

Since when is Manny an injury risk? Since 1996, the man has missed significant time twice (and only about 1/4 the season in each case). In 2002 where he played 120 games (33 HR/107 RBI) and in 2000 where he played in 118 (38 HR/122 RBI). Even playing 3/4 of the season for those 2 years he still put up tremendous numbers. And one injury if you recall was a freakish/stupidity injury the result of a slide head first into home plate.

He played in 154 games in 2003, 152 in 2004. Other than the 2 years mentioned, he has played in at least 142 games a year since 1996. I hardly call that injury prone.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:09 am

I never called him injury prone. I called him too much of an injury risk to justify using my 1st round pick on him. I want a healthy player first round, above all else.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:12 am

Well what exactly is the difference? He is hardly getting gel injections into his knees...he as no physical ailments or maladies to my knowledge...he is not 40 years old...how is he an injury risk? Based on what?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:16 am

He's an overweight, unathletic outfielder who is capable of making ugly swan dives at any minute. :-D

In all seriousness, I just don't have good healthy feelings about Manny. The same goes for Todd Helton because of his back. I realize the games played by Manny and even Todd are impressive, but I can't imagine taking Manny over a consistently healthy player like Soriano, A-Rod, or even Bonds.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:23 am

Manny Over Arod I would take Arod based on position.

Over Bonds, I would rather have Manny based on team and youth.

Over Soriano...I would take about 30 someodd players before him based on risk factors of another round 6-8 quality output. Not worth the risk and I do not care what position Soriano plays. I can pick up Kent or Loretta later in need be. The probability of Soriano being a huge disappointment again is far greater than the probabilty Manny gets hurt. The probability Manny has a bad year if healthy is next to 0.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:12 am

man..you can't be gun shy because of an injury. Remember last year when A-rod had that injury and people were trading him for the first time in years?

Look at all the studs in the last few years and almost all of them have had some sort of injury concern..

Vlad = bad back
Pedro= Bad shoulder
RJ= bad back/knee
Helton= bad back
Bonds = bad back/knee/etc
Manny= Bad hamstrings
Pujols = Bad Elbow
Sheffield= bad shoulder/knee
Soriano = bad legs
Schilling = bad Achilles Tendon
Schmidt = bad something..had surgery...
Mulder = bad hip

need I go on?

Basically all players are subject to getting injured. Who knows..this might be the year that Beltran blows out a knee or Tears an ACL. Never draft out of fear or you'll miss out on some good, talented players.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby tlef316 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:15 am

the Yanks04, why all the hate for soriano. sounds like you got burned on him last year. the guy had 1 "bad" year and he goes from a consensus top 5 pick to undraftable until round 5. doesnt seem very wise to me. In the early-mid 2nd round, he is tremendous value. The guy is obviously very talented(although streaky and undisciplined) is just hitting his prime power years, is just 1 year removed from a 35-35 season and is hitting in the best hitters parks in the league in a division with below average pitching. to top it all off, he plays a position where there are ZERO other guys with first round potential. As solid as guys like giles, young and Kent can be, they dont bring what soriano is capable of.

Its not like the guy is griffey. He had one subpar year(for him) while moving to a new team. Seems awfully dumb to discard him based on a year where he led all ML 2B in HR, was 2nd in RBI, was 6th in SB's, 10th in Average and 10th in runs scored all while missing the last 2 weeks or so. :-t
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:45 pm

tlef316 wrote:the Yanks04, why all the hate for soriano. sounds like you got burned on him last year. the guy had 1 "bad" year and he goes from a consensus top 5 pick to undraftable until round 5. doesnt seem very wise to me. In the early-mid 2nd round, he is tremendous value. The guy is obviously very talented(although streaky and undisciplined) is just hitting his prime power years, is just 1 year removed from a 35-35 season and is hitting in the best hitters parks in the league in a division with below average pitching. to top it all off, he plays a position where there are ZERO other guys with first round potential. As solid as guys like giles, young and Kent can be, they dont bring what soriano is capable of.

Its not like the guy is griffey. He had one subpar year(for him) while moving to a new team. Seems awfully dumb to discard him based on a year where he led all ML 2B in HR, was 2nd in RBI, was 6th in SB's, 10th in Average and 10th in runs scored all while missing the last 2 weeks or so. :-t

Don't even bother with him. All that matters to him is "what have you done for me lately," demonstrating no patience or belief of bouncing back whatsoever. It's not our/your problem so just ignore him.

Edit for typo in "bouncing" ;-)
Last edited by blankman on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:56 pm

blankman wrote:
tlef316 wrote:the Yanks04, why all the hate for soriano. sounds like you got burned on him last year. the guy had 1 "bad" year and he goes from a consensus top 5 pick to undraftable until round 5. doesnt seem very wise to me. In the early-mid 2nd round, he is tremendous value. The guy is obviously very talented(although streaky and undisciplined) is just hitting his prime power years, is just 1 year removed from a 35-35 season and is hitting in the best hitters parks in the league in a division with below average pitching. to top it all off, he plays a position where there are ZERO other guys with first round potential. As solid as guys like giles, young and Kent can be, they dont bring what soriano is capable of.

Don't even bother with him. All that matters to him is "what have you done for me lately," demonstrating no patience or belief of bounceing back whatsoever. It's not our/your problem so just ignore him.

;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers