So far, which team has made the worst offseason moves? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So far, which team has made the worst offseason moves?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So far, which team has made the worst offseason moves?

Arizona
32%
Boston
6%
NY Mets
29%
Los Angles
13%
Oakland
18%
St. Louis
1%

Total votes : 68

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:58 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't see how it can be anyone but Arizona at this point. They owe Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz $78 million over the next 4 years. How are the Mets even close in the poll? Yes, Benson is overpaid (3 years $22.5 million) and Pedro might be declining ($53 million for 4 years) but which team improved it self more for next year? The Mets IMO. The Mets also have a much larger budget than Arizona.

Team A with a $70 million a year budget blows around $75 million over the next 4 years and gets an overrated SP and a chronically injured 3B who hits for power and no average.

Team B with a $100 million a year budget blows around $75 million over the next 4 years and gets an overrated SP and a HOF pitcher in decline.

Neither are good moves IMO but Arizona is on crack. :-°

Can't even see how the Mets are on this list. The A's and D'backs are by far the ones to question. The A's traded Mulder and Hudson for unproven talent. They did not get a proven player for either. That may be a worse crime than the D'backs crying poverty and then way overpaying for two mediocre at best players so that they can lose 95 games next season instead of 105.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:05 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't see how it can be anyone but Arizona at this point. They owe Troy Glaus and Russ Ortiz $78 million over the next 4 years. How are the Mets even close in the poll? Yes, Benson is overpaid (3 years $22.5 million) and Pedro might be declining ($53 million for 4 years) but which team improved it self more for next year? The Mets IMO. The Mets also have a much larger budget than Arizona.

Team A with a $70 million a year budget blows around $75 million over the next 4 years and gets an overrated SP and a chronically injured 3B who hits for power and no average.

Team B with a $100 million a year budget blows around $75 million over the next 4 years and gets an overrated SP and a HOF pitcher in decline.

Neither are good moves IMO but Arizona is on crack. :-°

Can't even see how the Mets are on this list. The A's and D'backs are by far the ones to question. The A's traded Mulder and Hudson for unproven talent. They did not get a proven player for either. That may be a worse crime than the D'backs crying poverty and then way overpaying for two mediocre at best players so that they can lose 95 games next season instead of 105.

Yanks04 - I still dont think you get it either when you make those remarks about the A's. It was simply a salary move - they had to do it or lose them with 0 return like they did with Giambi and Tejada.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:08 pm

That may hold true for Hudson,,,not for Mulder. And trading them for prospects and not much else? Why they deal for Kendall then if they are so hard up for cash? What is more important a top SP or a mediocre C? You tell me they couldnot hold Hudson intil June and trade him to a contender in need of a SP for a lot more than what they got?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:32 pm

seems to me that SPs are at a premium as it is - you might be taking a chance if you are betting that the market for them actually increases from this point.

Regardless, what they did was strip two clubs of their best prospects - if you cant see the value of that from a salary strapped perspective, then I dont know what to tell you.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eftda » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:12 pm

trevisc wrote:i went with Oakland

;-D

Same here, Why in the world would you trade Hudson in the off season? Hes an ACE, look at what the M's did in 1998? They go great players for Johnson, A's could have done the same. Also, Mulder still had 2006 on his contract, why would they trade him?

Downgrade :-t
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:29 pm

eftda wrote:
trevisc wrote:i went with Oakland

;-D

Same here, Why in the world would you trade Hudson in the off season? Hes an ACE, look at what the M's did in 1998? They go great players for Johnson, A's could have done the same.

You mean Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen?

I'm willing to bet that Haren will equal Garcia's numbers when it's all said and done. Charles Thomas is every bit the prospect that Guillen ever was. Cruz ain't too bad, neither. I think the A's did fine.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:38 pm

I just think that saying the A's had the worst offseason is shortsighted. Maybe they will end up being terrible trades - but then again, maybe they just ripped off a couple teams. Its way to early to tell.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:44 pm

I think the inteeligence of Yahoo Sports goers is summed up well by the public league drafts...This poll does not help thier case any. Really why are you on yahoo sports if you obviously no little to nothing about what is going on in sports. READ SOME OF THE ARTICLES.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby El Gaupo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 pm

It's still a little pre -mature to have a poll like this..
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:03 pm

El Gaupo wrote:It's still a little pre -mature to have a poll like this..
the poll says "so far..." agian it isn't my poll it is yahoo's.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers