Why are all the LA fans ready to kill Depodesta? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are all the LA fans ready to kill Depodesta?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why are all the LA fans ready to kill Depodesta?

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:20 pm

I've been listening to talk radio out here today, and all the fans are ready to run this guy out of town. People calling up saying they already canceled their season tickets, ect...

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Green is WAY overpaid. Everyone in the city has said this forever. He's going to make nearly as much next season as Beltran wants. We've finally found a way to get this sucker off our bench and our payroll, and everyone complains.

Am I overlooking something, or is there some reason everyone wants to keep Green and Penny (who is still not healthy)? If this trade goes through, the Dodgers will not only have a good young pitcher in Vazquez, they will have 1) picked the yankee farm system clean, 2) made enough salary room to grab JD Drew and 3) still have money leftover for someone else.

This is such typical crap from the LA fans. They bag on a player while they are here, then get upset when he's traded or let go.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:24 pm

Well:
I agree Green is a waste at thisp oint and unloading him is a good move.
I also agree Penny is not worth a lot with his injury history.
I disagree in that Vazquez is much better, but hey if Weaver can almost look like a pitcher in LA, than just about anyone has hope.
Picking the Yank farm system dry is not a significant accomplishment.
Getting a Delgado or Drew to replace the sticks lost is good in theory but so far has lacked execution.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:30 pm

Vazquez was awesome with the Expos in 2001, 2002, and 2003. He was also solid (4.05 ERA) in 2000. Last year, his ERA was 3.56 at the break.

Basically, he performed poorly after the break last season, and everyone has counted him out for the rest of his career?

As a Yankee fan, I actually don't like that we're giving the kid up. I think with the age and health factors, Javy could easily be as good (or, *gasp*, better) than Randy next year.
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:00 pm

You did see the Bambi in the Headlights look from Vazquez in Game 7 of the ALCS? This guy beat up on TB and Balt in April and May and choked against the Red Sox and everyone else during the pennant stretch. All I know is that come playoff time, I do not want to see him take the mound.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:04 pm

I'm not going to say he didn't suck later in the year... because boy, did he suck. Nonetheless, it was proven for four and a half seasons that this kid can pitch... when he's on, he's an elite pitcher. Of course I would rather have Tim Hudson or Kerry Wood, but I don't think you're going to get that for Brad Penny and Shawn Green.
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:08 pm

What he did in front of 3000 fans in Montreal is not really indictative of how he performs under pressure. Weaver pitched pretty well in Detroit in meaningless games also. I wish I could say I saw the Vazquez implosion coming, but I did not. I never thought he would be as soft as he ended up being IMO. And do you want to risk a pennant on Vazquez come 2005? I sure do not.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:12 pm

The kid is young, it was his first time under real pressure. I'd compare it to the start of your career in the majors after being in AAA ball. It takes a while to settle in for some guys.

Honestly, as a Yankee fan... I would rather have the possibility of Javy choking because of jitters than have the possible health and age problems that come with Randy.
Help please:

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:20 pm

I have repeated it on this site before, but IMO, you do not pay 11-12 M a year for a guy that gets nervous and needs time to adjust to pressure and may get his head out of his butt at some point in his second year. Every pitcher is a risk. Clemens was 40 and pitched fine for us. Young does not always mean better. Often experience in the Playoffs means something and is worth a lot. Some players pick it up come crunch time (Brosius, Jeter are examples), others do the big choke. The latter group need to be gotten rid of (or at least their importance for the post-season minimized) so as to not cost the Yanks the big prize. Say what you will, but when the Yanks had Wells, Key, Clemens, Pettitte, Cone. El Duque etc. on the mound over recent years, you generally had confidence going in. When guys like Rogers were on the mound, you basically knew that to win you would need a miracle. Vaz is not in the former group.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:29 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:You did see the Bambi in the Headlights look from Vazquez in Game 7 of the ALCS? This guy beat up on TB and Balt in April and May and choked against the Red Sox and everyone else during the pennant stretch. All I know is that come playoff time, I do not want to see him take the mound.

If RJ sucks next year, are you going to want to get rid of him, too? One year does not make a pitcher.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:29 pm

exactly how does a thread about the Dodgers get hijacked, and become a Yankee thread ? ..

what is it? I mean if you don't see the word Bronx or Bomber within the first 100 charcaters, there must be something wrong, and it needs to be fixed ? Is it frustration that there are a few fans out there that haven't been "bought" yet, and they need some wisdom? How do these things happen?

Back to the thread ...
I think the anger that Dodger Fans have towards Depodesta is misguided. The anger should probably be towards Mccourt. ..
I promise you this though ..
The Angels, just down the freeway, are estatitic as hell that this is all unfolding ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers