Reds to trade outfielder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reds to trade outfielder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:31 pm

I would guess that Dunn is the most likely to be traded at this point. His value is extremely high right now. However they had BETTER get a top tier player in return or I'm refusing to call myself a Reds fan from this point forward. No prospects, I want a proven reliable starting pitcher. :-[
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:36 pm

No one is going to trade good, proven starting pitching. No one not named Beane at least. Almost all of the top pitchers reside on contenders now. There are a few exceptions like Halladay and Sheets, but that is about it unless I missed someone.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:40 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:No one is going to trade good, proven starting pitching. No one not named Beane at least. Almost all of the top pitchers reside on contenders now. There are a few exceptions like Halladay and Sheets, but that is about it unless I missed someone.

While you are right, I think you have also neglected the fact that not very many are willing to trade proven/reliable/young power also.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby riverrat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:41 pm

if you cant get a top tier player for hudson/mulder...what makes you think you can for dunn? trades nowadays just dont work "evenly". you think CLee for podsednik++ was "even"? i'm from chi-town and everybody says bad deal.
name the last trade that was even or comparable? one that wasnt a salary dumping. one that we can agree that was good for both teams and fairly even..
riverrat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:43 pm

But it is far far easier to pick up a slugging hitter as a free agent than a top SP. Dunn carries a good deal of value, but I can't see a serious contender trading a top SP for a 1b/of.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:43 pm

they could always move an overpaid Sean Casey and slide Dunn over to first. Casey's value would never be higher after his last season.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 pm

You guys do realize that Dunn is 25 years old and made only $445,000 last year right? There would be no salary dumping of any sort if the Reds trade him.

Your points are well taken, but if the Reds can't get a top tier pitcher like I think they should, then they should hold onto him and let him lead the league in homers for another year.
Last edited by slomo007 on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Re: ...

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 pm

riverrat wrote:if you cant get a top tier player for hudson/mulder...what makes you think you can for dunn? trades nowadays just dont work "evenly". you think CLee for podsednik++ was "even"? i'm from chi-town and everybody says bad deal.
name the last trade that was even or comparable? one that wasnt a salary dumping. one that we can agree that was good for both teams and fairly even..

ARod for Soriano.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:47 pm

wrveres wrote:they could always move an overpaid Sean Casey and slide Dunn over to first. Casey's value would never be higher after his last season.

That's a nice thought, but I think trading Casey would be a PR disaster in Cincy. Especially when you are keeping guys like Griffey and Kearns instead of Casey.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:19 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
riverrat wrote:if you cant get a top tier player for hudson/mulder...what makes you think you can for dunn? trades nowadays just dont work "evenly". you think CLee for podsednik++ was "even"? i'm from chi-town and everybody says bad deal.

ARod for Soriano.

That's supposed to be a joke right? I'm not sure what Soriano is due to make for the next however many years A-Rod is under contract, but I'm pretty sure it won't be $20+million.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers