Reds to trade outfielder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reds to trade outfielder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reds to trade outfielder?

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:15 pm

Associated Press wrote:CINCINNATI -- Third baseman Joe Randa agreed Tuesday to a one-year contract with the Reds, ending Cincinnati's plan to move right fielder Austin Kearns to the position next season.

Randa, 35, played the last six seasons with Kansas City, batting .287 with eight home runs and 56 RBI last season. He has a .286 average in 10 major league seasons with 102 home runs and 643 RBI.

Cincinnati planned to move Kearns to third base after the emergence of Wily Mo Pena gave the Reds four outfielders but no proven third baseman.

could signing mean they have finally found a new home for Griffey? I don't see the reds going into spring training with four great outfielders.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Reds to trade outfielder?

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:23 pm

thedude wrote:
Associated Press wrote:CINCINNATI -- Third baseman Joe Randa agreed Tuesday to a one-year contract with the Reds, ending Cincinnati's plan to move right fielder Austin Kearns to the position next season.

Randa, 35, played the last six seasons with Kansas City, batting .287 with eight home runs and 56 RBI last season. He has a .286 average in 10 major league seasons with 102 home runs and 643 RBI.

Cincinnati planned to move Kearns to third base after the emergence of Wily Mo Pena gave the Reds four outfielders but no proven third baseman.

could signing mean they have finally found a new home for Griffey? I don't see the reds going into spring training with four great outfielders.

great???? :-? :-? :-? imo they will need all 4 outfielders,as they have 2 that u know cant possibly play 150 games.....but great...nah none of them are really great, they may have thepotential to be great but i would not consider them great.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Reds to trade outfielder?

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:41 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:great???? :-? :-? :-? imo they will need all 4 outfielders,as they have 2 that u know cant possibly play 150 games.....but great...nah none of them are really great, they may have thepotential to be great but i would not consider them great.......

Exactly. You know Kearns and Griffey will spend significant time on the DL so why would they want to trade the extra OF's who they know can perform and fill in with unproven players. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:13 pm

the Reds could only wish that someone would be crazy enough to take Griffey.

I actually think he'd be a good fit with the mets

:-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby kentx12 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:34 pm

trevisc wrote:the Reds could only wish that someone would be crazy enough to take Griffey.

I actually think he'd be a good fit with the mets

:-D

Hillarious... :-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:44 pm

I find it doubtful the Reds will go into Spring training with 4 guys who should be starting, three of who other teams would love to have (the exception of corse is Griffey with his huge contract), with just the hope that 3 will be healthy at once. They have too many other glaring holes for that luxery. It would make much more sense to sign a good backup outfeilder and trade Pena or Kearns for pitching. If you are the Reds GM and you have valueable trading comidty which is being wasted on the bench do just sit on your hands? Of corse not. MArk my words the Reds are shopping players right now.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:18 pm

Kearns gets hurt by breathing...who is going to trade anything good for him at this point? And we all know Griffey is good for < 1/2 a season. I canlt see anyone taking Griffey.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:22 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Kearns gets hurt by breathing...who is going to trade anything good for him at this point? And we all know Griffey is good for < 1/2 a season. I canlt see anyone taking Griffey.

Exactly. They'd have to trade either Dunn or Pena -- the only two consistent producers -- if they want any sort of value in return which makes absolutely no sense at all. I realize they need the help in other areas, but trading away one of their few strengths for a band-aid when they need a tourniquet isn't good business IMO.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:26 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Kearns gets hurt by breathing...who is going to trade anything good for him at this point? And we all know Griffey is good for < 1/2 a season. I canlt see anyone taking Griffey.

Exactly. They'd have to trade either Dunn or Pena -- the only two consistent producers -- if they want any sort of value in return which makes absolutely no sense at all. I realize they need the help in other areas, but trading away one of their few strengths for a band-aid when they need a tourniquet isn't good business IMO.

you think no one will trade for Kearns? Whenever anyone talks to the Reds Kearns name comes up. His value is not what it was 2 years ago but it is still high and if i was looking for an outfeilder with a low price tag i would certainly take the chance.he is still only 24.

oh and a funny side note: only 4 Reds players had more than 400 abs last season. they have more problems than just Kearns and Griffey's injuries.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:28 pm

No, I just do not think anyone will trade anything good for Kearns at this point.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers