Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who should move on to the next round?

Led Zepplin
77%
The Clash
23%

Total votes : 31

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:17 am

AA thanks for the info. It does sound familiar. It says they settled out of court, so Dixon did get paid?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:42 pm

HOOTIE wrote:AA thanks for the info. It does sound familiar. It says they settled out of court, so Dixon did get paid?

He got paid, but he had to sue. And they tried to get away with not paying him. And I lost all respect for them when I heard about it.

Coincidentally, pretty much all the blues songs that you've heard covered by classic rock bands were written by Willie Dixon: Back Door Man (Doors), I can't quit you baby (Zep), The Seventh Son (Sly and the Family Stone), Spoonful (Cream), You Shook Me (Black Crowes), Hoochie Coochie Man (Allman Bros.), I just want to make love to you (everybody) and a thousand others.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:39 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:AA thanks for the info. It does sound familiar. It says they settled out of court, so Dixon did get paid?

He got paid, but he had to sue. And they tried to get away with not paying him. And I lost all respect for them when I heard about it.

Coincidentally, pretty much all the blues songs that you've heard covered by classic rock bands were written by Willie Dixon: Back Door Man (Doors), I can't quit you baby (Zep), The Seventh Son (Sly and the Family Stone), Spoonful (Cream), You Shook Me (Black Crowes), Hoochie Coochie Man (Allman Bros.), I just want to make love to you (everybody) and a thousand others.

Willie Dixon was the greatest blues songwriter of all time. If anyone wants to check out his stuff I highly recommend the album Willie Dixon - I Am the Blues. Great, great stuff. ;-D

Other songs he did were "The Seventh Son" which I think Johnny Rivers covered, and "Little Red Rooster" which I've heard the Doors covered on a live disc I have.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:48 pm

Well, certainly he wrote the most hits of any bluesman around. I'd actually recommend the 2 cd chess box set that has all his big songs covered by better singers. Because although Willie was a great songwriter, his singing lacks subtility.

An interesting story about Willie for you, Ironman (from his biography). When Willie's father and mother were first married, his father had to work 2 jobs just to get by. One day he came home to find a man trying to rape his wife. Willie's father yelled loudly and started running towards the man. The man shot the father, right in the face. Then Willie's father stopped, spit out the bullet, and beat the man within an inch of his life. Fantastic.

You know what would have made that story less awkward? If I'd known his parent's names.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk