Mulder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Mulder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mulder?

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:12 pm

OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this one, but I just wanted to share what I thought about all this. I posted this at a Cardinals forum, so I'm just doing a copy/paste here.

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:OK, I'm going to burst everyone's bubble probably with this one, but I just don't understand the move from Beane's point of view. Mulder's got two years left on his deal in OAK and Billy Beane just does not trade away great players with that much still under contract. I really really really really hope I'm wrong but there seems to be something fishy going on here. I just don't know why OAK would trade away 2/3 of the big three in this fashion unless there is something wrong with Mulder either health wise or something else. Hudson I can see since he was up at the end of the year, but Mulder? I'm probably reading way too much into it, but I'm not going to be really comfortable with this deal until I see how Mulder looks. Sad I know Walt is a shrewd negotiator, but Beane is at least his equal and maybe his superior in pulling off deals like this.

I think it covers most of my feelings/concern about the deal. I don't necessarily think it was a bad deal if Mulder is indeed the Mulder of the first half of '04, but I just think there is something really screwy going on. Beane doesn't just have a firesale like this I don't think unless there is something wrong and he's cutting his losses before they burn him. :-/ Like I said I may not be giving Walt enough credit on this one, but I just something just doesn't add up. OK, now you can let me have it. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:39 pm

i think beane did the deal because he has wet dreams about barton. he may have been under pressure to cut more salary than we know. he may have said if we are going to have to rebuild we may as well just do it all in one year so they we can get back to the top sooner. he got a lot of young cheap talent. the a's will be better than expected next year and should be pretty good in 06 and 07.

as for the health thing bernie miklasz said he talked to walt. walt had his guys talk to the oakland staff, maybe shared some stuff, and they are convinced he is healthy. i am sure they will give him a physical before everything becomes official.

i am a little conflicted on the deal. we are better off now but in the future i dont know. i guess we still have reyes and wainwright in the minors and i think walt is pretty confident ankiel will be good. walt also insinuated that while daric would be an outstanding offensive catcher his abilities wouldnt be quite as unique as a 1b or OF. and we have some extra draft picks to find the next barton.

one thing has me a little nervous though. we just added about 6.5 mil in salary and only traded away less than a mil. we are most definitely out of the running for cabrera and probably polanco as well. that kinds of confuses me though. if we are going to sacrifice some future for a better present why not go all the way and increase the payroll a few mil. doesnt make too much sense to get mulder and then get a crappy infield.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:49 pm

I understand that Beane really wanted Barton, but to trade away Mulder two years from his walk year? That's the part I just simply do not get. :-[
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:54 am

If these last few seasons have taught me anything it's this:

I have never been able to predict what Jocketty or Beane will do next, but whatever they do, they don't seem to mess up too often. So, on that note, I place my trust in him to get us back to the WS however he sees fit (although, I have this sneaking suspicion that Renteria leaving was unplanned).

Back to Mulder... Does our rotation shape up like this now?

Mulder
Carpenter
Morris
Suppan
Marquis

Does that seem right? And then our pen works:

King
Tavarez
Izzy

With Ankiel probably in there, too, right?

I like it. I've seen plenty of worse staffs. Now let's go get us a middle infield!!!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:56 am

That's what I've got for the starting five as of now. I think Ankiel will be in the pen to start and maybe competing for that fifth spot with Marquis. It seemed that last year especially during the playoffs the coaches weren't too thrilled with his attitude or effort so they may try to send him a message by sitting him every now and then? I don't know, I guess I've got too much time on my hands thinking about stuff like that. :-D Oh, and BTW I agree with Sluggers on one thing, I may not understand what Walt or Beane are doing, but it usually works out for the best. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:44 am

Great move by Walt. ;-D

Not that they didn't give up some good talent but to get a stud LHP for 2 years at 6 and 7 million is a great move.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:57 pm

the more i think about the trade the more i like it.

the rotation looks pretty good assuming everyone is healthy. i hate to lose haren and barton but we still have reyes and wainwright and a heap of draft picks coming through free agent compensation. i would have preferred to send them marquis instead of haren though.

the bullpen looks ok. i think someone needs to step up though. could be al reyes, carmen cali, or even el dread. all indications are that tony wants ankiel in the pen initially.

as far as the middle infield goes there are still some decent cheap options that i could live with. larkin is good although only for about 100 games. d'angelo jiminez could be non-tendered by the reds and might be a decent 2b option. all indications right now are that belliard and hairston will be tendered contracts but hairston is available through trade. polanco and lugo could also be available through trade.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals