Astros might not tender Wade Miller - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astros might not tender Wade Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:30 am

Pacman wrote:
Expect an INSANE ovation for OCab the first time the Halos come to Fenway in 05. ;-D

Agreed. I'll be there cheering, too.

Roberts was clearly mad to not be starting, but he sucked it up, cheered like hell, and did his job. He hadn't played in a game in ten days--I think--before he stole that base.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:36 pm

wrveres wrote:Actually ....

Roberts/ Young / Guzman
Loretta
Giles
Nevin
Klesko / Nady
Burroughs
Greene
Hernandez

Bochy has a little speed flexability .. ;-D
that's a nice line up for that ballpark but rhernandez will not hit 8th..he has too much power to be placed there and then pitched around...
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:28 pm

New news concerning Wade...
ESPN's Peter Gammons to BDD: "When the Red Sox were talking to teams about Dave Roberts before the 20th deadline, they discussed a Roberts-Miller deal with the Astros. Theo Epstein had promised Roberts, out of respect, that he would try to trade him to a team where he would play regularly, and Roberts did not see that opportunity in Houston with Lance Berkman coming back in May or June and the possibility of Carlos Beltran signing, and ended up in San Diego in what could be a very good trade for Boston. The Sox will pursue Miller, but as one GM told me, "there will be a dozen to 15 teams in on him, and it could be costly for the risk involved."

Schilling on SoSH: "Wade Miller would be a good sign IMO. In addition to being a serious competitor he knows how to pitch. Given the dynamics of the staff that handles players here this would be a very different situation for him to be in. A lot less pressure and a lot more attention. Look at what the training staff did for Pedro this past season. They got him to the post, along with his hard work for every start. I love the thought of this guy coming here and being able to come back as he can. He can pitch and he can win. Put him in front of this offense and it could be a steal. Bringing guys this good here in this kind of situation seems to me to be a win win given that he'll most likely sign a deal that's incentive laden. I think it's a great move. Considering the staff that's being assembled in NY this year is gonna be another huge challenge and pitching once again IMO will carry the day when it all comes down to it."

"There is surprise in some baseball circles that the Red Sox are holding to budget with certain players and are not going the extra mile, especially since they raised ticket prices... I don't think Clement is a good fit in Boston, stuff-wise, he has too many idiosyncracies, superstitions, and doesn't handle pressure well."-- 12.22: Buster Olney on WEEI D&C

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headli ... _time.html
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:37 am

Looks like the Sox bagged Miller

nice Sign
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:02 am

Pacman wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:Yeah, that's not bad. Let me bask in Roberts glory for a second. There were three pickoff attempts--Rivera knew he was going, I knew he was going, everyone in that stadium knew he was going...and he went on the first pitch, and got just under Jeter's tag.

Afterwards, Jeter said something to the effect of: "I don't know how you sit on the bench all night, cold, and come in and steal a base. Good job." (That's classy.)

Apparently in the seventh, Roberts went into the film room and studied Rivera's move, in preparation. Thanks.

It was an amazing night, and that was a huge play. Props on that play to Posada, who almost freakin GOT HIM with a strong throw down to 2nd. 8-o Tell me, Yankees fans, do you guys love Posada as much as I think you should? That guy seems like such a solid player, but I hear his name bandied about in trade talks so much. I may be somewhat biased because I've had him as my fantasy catcher several seasons, and really like what the guys does over the course of a season... anyway, just wondering.

I think that Posada has spoiled many Yankee fans. His offense is still better than most but he has been slipping a little. That was to be expected, though. He's getting older and is a catcher. I like him a lot. He has carried the offense at times. Receiving the ball is his weakness but he has a cannon. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:07 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Pacman wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:Yeah, that's not bad. Let me bask in Roberts glory for a second. There were three pickoff attempts--Rivera knew he was going, I knew he was going, everyone in that stadium knew he was going...and he went on the first pitch, and got just under Jeter's tag.

Afterwards, Jeter said something to the effect of: "I don't know how you sit on the bench all night, cold, and come in and steal a base. Good job." (That's classy.)

Apparently in the seventh, Roberts went into the film room and studied Rivera's move, in preparation. Thanks.

It was an amazing night, and that was a huge play. Props on that play to Posada, who almost freakin GOT HIM with a strong throw down to 2nd. 8-o Tell me, Yankees fans, do you guys love Posada as much as I think you should? That guy seems like such a solid player, but I hear his name bandied about in trade talks so much. I may be somewhat biased because I've had him as my fantasy catcher several seasons, and really like what the guys does over the course of a season... anyway, just wondering.

I think that Posada has spoiled many Yankee fans. His offense is still better than most but he has been slipping a little. That was to be expected, though. He's getting older and is a catcher. I like him a lot. He has carried the offense at times. Receiving the ball is his weakness but he has a cannon. ;-D

Honestly, Posada is THE guy on the Yankees I hate to see come up to the plate against the Sox, especially with men on base. Not that the rest of the NY lineup isn't totally dangerous, usually 1-thru-9, but Posada is the guy who always scares me. (Matusi's becoming like that to me too, just frikkin DANGEROUS...)

Oh yeah, and I'd be thrilled if I can get JoPo again for my fantasy team in 05. I got stuck with Piazza last season and he killed me.

When do pitchers and catchers report? I hate winter. :-t
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers