Astros might not tender Wade Miller - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astros might not tender Wade Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:06 pm

I don't understand why the Astros didn't just offer him a one year incentive laden contract. Seems like a bad move on there part. I imagine there will be a ton of teams requesting his services for next season. If he waits till Febuary to sign somewhere, he could probably get a nice base around 5 million per plus incentives

I sure hope Kevin Towers is paying attention. All that money he wanted to give a 95 year old David Wells might just fetch a Wade Miller, especially after we trade Payton and Klesko to the Mets for used sunflower seed shells.

As for fantasy implications..
Does this mean that Carlos Hernandez can gets his rotation shot again? There is a breakout candidate for ya. I hope the Astros realize by now that Munro is not the awnser. Give Carlos the job ... ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:22 am

wrveres wrote:I sure hope Kevin Towers is paying attention. All that money he wanted to give a 95 year old David Wells might just fetch a Wade Miller, especially after we trade Payton and Klesko to the Mets for used sunflower seed shells.

Payton has been traded, for what it's worth:

Red Sox acquired outfielder Jay Payton, infielder Ramon Vazquez, RHP David Pauley and $2.65 million from the Padres for outfielder Dave Roberts.
Roberts wanted to be a regular again, and the Red Sox weren't going to stand in his way. As a right-handed hitter, Payton is probably a better fit as the team's fourth outfielder. He can start in place of Trot Nixon against lefties and back up Johnny Damon in center. The cash included should even up the difference in salary between Payton and Roberts. Dec. 20 - 10:23 pm et

Thank you, David, for that stolen base. A hell of a job. ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:27 am

but what do the sox want with payton, vazquez, and pauly?? :-?
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 am

Did you read the rotoworld blurb? Payton will replace Kaplar as the foruth outfielder and Vazquez will be a utility infielder. This is a homage, if you will, to Roberts, who wanted to start. He was excellent for us--including one amazing steal!!--and Theo agreed to trade him.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:34 am

Transmogrifier wrote:This is a homage, if you will, to Roberts, who wanted to start. He was excellent for us--including one amazing steal!!--and Theo agreed to trade him.

oh how nice of the allmighty Theo ..

all praise Theo ..

Theo ... Theo ... Theo ... ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:38 am

wrveres wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:This is a homage, if you will, to Roberts, who wanted to start. He was excellent for us--including one amazing steal!!--and Theo agreed to trade him.

oh how nice of the allmighty Theo ..

all praise Theo ..

Theo ... Theo ... Theo ... ;-7

eh. It's true though. They had options on him, and could have kept him. But Roberts wanted to go and start somewhere, so Theo did it. I would prefer Roberts, with the only downside being that he's right handed. He wouldn't be that much of an improvement over Trot when facing RJ.

Roberts is well loved in Red Sox Nation....

For this:

I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:44 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Image

Well hopefully he will be doing a ton of that in San Diego .. If only he could find a way to steal first.

But ..

Roberts
Loretta
Giles
Nevin

Is a nice top of the order IMO ...
well I should say, its a nice top of the order for one of us AAAA teams, at least. ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:52 am

Yeah, that's not bad. Let me bask in Roberts glory for a second. There were three pickoff attempts--Rivera knew he was going, I knew he was going, everyone in that stadium knew he was going...and he went on the first pitch, and got just under Jeter's tag.

Afterwards, Jeter said something to the effect of: "I don't know how you sit on the bench all night, cold, and come in and steal a base. Good job." (That's classy.)

Apparently in the seventh, Roberts went into the film room and studied Rivera's move, in preparation. Thanks.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:02 am

Actually ....

Roberts/ Young / Guzman
Loretta
Giles
Nevin
Klesko / Nady
Burroughs
Greene
Hernandez

Bochy has a little speed flexability .. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pacman » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:59 am

Transmogrifier wrote:Yeah, that's not bad. Let me bask in Roberts glory for a second. There were three pickoff attempts--Rivera knew he was going, I knew he was going, everyone in that stadium knew he was going...and he went on the first pitch, and got just under Jeter's tag.

Afterwards, Jeter said something to the effect of: "I don't know how you sit on the bench all night, cold, and come in and steal a base. Good job." (That's classy.)

Apparently in the seventh, Roberts went into the film room and studied Rivera's move, in preparation. Thanks.

It was an amazing night, and that was a huge play. Props on that play to Posada, who almost freakin GOT HIM with a strong throw down to 2nd. 8-o Tell me, Yankees fans, do you guys love Posada as much as I think you should? That guy seems like such a solid player, but I hear his name bandied about in trade talks so much. I may be somewhat biased because I've had him as my fantasy catcher several seasons, and really like what the guys does over the course of a season... anyway, just wondering.

Red Sox Fans will never forget ANY of the guys on the 04 team, no matter which uniforms they're wearing in 05 or beyond. Roberts was total class, as was O-Cab and Kapler. DLowe was HUGE in the post-season, and Pedro (I still love you for what you did, Peeds, no matter how much mud you sling on the way out the door) Pedro was one of the greatest ever to wear the Boston uniform.

Expect an INSANE ovation for OCab the first time the Halos come to Fenway in 05. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers