Astros might not tender Wade Miller - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astros might not tender Wade Miller

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Astros might not tender Wade Miller

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:23 pm

That would be a great incentive-laden contract to go for. I hope the Sox make an offer if he's not tendered:

Astros face decision on whether to retain Miller
Righthander's shoulder injury has team mulling options carefully
By BRIAN MCTAGGART
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

As the Monday deadline approaches to tender contracts to major-league players under a team's control, the Astros are weighing the pros and cons of bringing back righthanded pitcher Wade Miller for next season.

Miller, who went 7-7 with a 3.35 ERA last season but didn't pitch after June 25 because of a frayed rotator cuff, is eligible for arbitration but isn't expected to begin throwing off a mound until next month.

The Astros don't want to go to arbitration with Miller, who doesn't want to be non-tendered considering he's trying to come back from a shoulder injury.

Miller avoided arbitration last year by agreeing to a one-year, $3.4 million deal for 2004, a $2,875,000 raise over the $525,000 he made in 2003.

Monday's 11 p.m. deadline will affect other arbitration-eligible players such as Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Pete Munro, Tim Redding, Brandon Duckworth and Mike Lamb.

If those players aren't tendered contracts through which the parties at least hope to exchange arbitration figures, they will become free agents.

"You're always trying to look at who to keep on the roster and who to take off the roster," Purpura said. "Those are important decisions."

Players such as Berkman and Oswalt are no-brainers to be tendered contracts, but Miller's injury puts the Astros in a difficult spot.

Miller, 28, has been a workhorse for the Astros, winning at least 14 games in three consecutive seasons from 2001-03. But he began experiencing pain in his shoulder June 15 of this year in a start against the Chicago Cubs and made just two more starts before shutting it down for the season.

Although he didn't have surgery, the Astros have received promising news from team doctors regarding Miller's prognosis. Because he won't begin throwing until January, the Astros will have to make a decision on him by relying on MRIs and physical exams.

"It's tough, just because you don't have enough information, particularly in Wade's case," Purpura said. "All the information so far is good. What we've heard from doctors is pretty good, but he's not throwing. If he was throwing and able to get on the mound, you'd have a whole lot more confidence going into it."

Miller's agent, Robert Garber, didn't return phone calls Friday.

If healthy, Miller would be a key figure in a formidable Astros rotation that includes Andy Pettitte, Oswalt, Brandon Backe and possibly Cy Young Award winner Roger Clemens, who hasn't decided if he'll return.

But Miller could get more than $3 million in arbitration, which might be too big of a risk for the Astros. Purpura said he has had discussions about a new contract for Miller for next year.

"We're in a situation where we've got to be careful what we do," Purpura said. "Number 1, we want to have a pitcher that will help us.

"Number 2, financially we're don't need to get in situations of paying somebody to sit on the DL all year.

"He makes a significant amount of money, and that would be difficult for us to be in that situation where we would have all the risk of him not pitching."

Meanwhile, Purpura doesn't expect to have any dialogue with Scott Boras, the agent for free-agent outfielder Carlos Beltran, until next week. The two sides haven't spoken since Tuesday, on the heels of the winter meetings.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2953010
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:35 pm

the only reason why we migh tlet him go is because every amout of money we need to get beltran. The more i think about the more i dont want beltran because he will tie us up into one player and losing other key players. I rather us sign mags to a 1 deal for like 11 mill a year and resign our other players.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TriplePlay » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:22 pm

I agree with Swingaway, dont sign Beltran, let him go to the YANKS :-D
TriplePlay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:28 pm

TriplePlay wrote:I agree with Swingaway, dont sign Beltran, let him go to the YANKS :-D

that is a bad thought :-t :-t but what a lineup it would be.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:18 pm

i would be surprised if they non-tendered him. 3 mil isnt exactly a lot of money in the baseball world, especially when guys like benson are getting 7 mil.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:27 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i would be surprised if they non-tendered him. 3 mil isnt exactly a lot of money in the baseball world, especially when guys like benson are getting 7 mil.

I agree. What's 3 million for a potential 15-17 game winner.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby kentx12 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:30 pm

Being a miller owner in a keeper league I hope they keep him.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:29 pm

Tomorrow is going to be very busy in here ...
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:46 pm

looks like wade was non-tendered.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:48 pm

What kind of deal do you see him getting? 3-4 mill guaranteed, plus incentives?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers