Prognosis for Everett and Juan Gone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prognosis for Everett and Juan Gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prognosis for Everett and Juan Gone?

Postby msaint » Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:33 pm

Wanted to guage peoples' feelings on Juan Gone and Everett, mostly in the HR department.

Both are in their contract years, and are notoriously selfish guys, which says that they'll do whatever they can to put up monster numbers and play through pain that might have sidelined them in the past...BUT, both are very injury prone, and my gut says it's only a matter of time until one or both go down.

If you owned them, would you be looking to deal them healthy/high valued, or hold onto them, watch them bash in the Texas heat all summer, and hope they can play a full year and hit 30+ HRs??

Not trying to make this a trade post, as there is no specific deal here...just wanted general opinions on these two. Thanks ;-D
msaint
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Professorflash » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:45 pm

Both I think are really gonna have good years, I definately wouldn't trade juan gone now since he has been struggling. Everett I would trade if I get a good deal but here are my projections for both of them.

Everett .285 33 96 10sb's
Juan Gone .306 30 115

As you see I do expect good years from both of them if they stay healthy.
Professorflash
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Jury » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:51 pm

Both will have good years, though Everett's season may not be in just Texas. I would trade Everett for fair value but hang onto Juanzo since he is highly undervalued right now. This guy has smashed in over 160 runs before and hits for a good average.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:10 pm

Juan Gone is not a guy you will get good trade value for unless he goes on a big tear here early in the year. The reason? He's an injury prone veteran and it's well documented which makes people consider this when they put people on the block for him. Juan Gone is one of those guys you keep until he gets injured and then pick up someone else. I certainly wouldn't anchor my outfield with him on purpose. You were probably able to get him farely late in the draft and as a result you were able to pick up at least one other elite outfielder.

The way I feel is that when a guy becomes an injury prone veteran he loses his trade inflation potential. Juan Gone will never command what Kearns currently does as I write this because because Juan Gone has broken our hearts multiple times with injury and people get skittish when players do that a few times. Another good example of this is Moises Alou. The guy is a monster at the plate but he went undrafted in a lot of leagues.

Guys like Frank Thomas, Alou, and Juan Gone are Dark Horses. They have traversed the plain of larger than life hitting skills but the usual rules of buy low sell high don't apply to them in the same manner because of their sketchy health history. In the same breath they can make all the difference if you have them and they explode for a monster season.

Everett isn't quite a multiple injury veteran. I think you might be able to get fair trade right now if you don't think he'll continue hot. He had a knee injury and got out of shape as a result. He could be back strong. Everett has been know to get red hot for months at a time so I might keep him if I had him.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby msaint » Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:38 pm

Thanks for input guys ;-D.....i'm going to ride these two until they drop, 'cause when healthy, they produce, period.
msaint
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Professorflash » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:38 pm

As a fellow Juan Gone and everett owner it is days like these that we love, also the CGHSO by Mulder helped my day. So don't mind if I show alittle emotion :-D :-D :-D :-D
Professorflash
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers