New Kevin Brown question... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New Kevin Brown question...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:45 pm

Hitting a wall is no fluke.

Brown is one of the most intense players in the game and let his emotions get the best of him.

Back spasms that make it dificult for him to walk let alone pitch are no fluke.
His velocity is down to the high 80's, low 90's.

Brown is around 40 years old and has logged many innings. He's not going to pitch in the 90's forever.

He had intestinal parasites (also no fluke) just like Giambi (coincidence?...maybe but highly suspicious nonetheless). Sort of a strange illness for someone to come up with,, let alone two players.

There's a new risk to add to all the misinformation out there already about steroids.
killiansjmd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:46 pm

Obviously roids will help a pitcher like it does a hitter. Namely it allows them to recover quicker from workouts and hence build up strength and stamina. For a pitcher, that will translate into better endurance and possibly, though not necessarily, a boost in velocity. Velocity has a lot of factors in it including mechanics and arm strength and the like, so it is a rather dubious determintion there. But the ability to increase overall endurance and hence go deeper into games before running out of gas is certainly a product.

So maybe it turns a 5 inning pitcher into a 6-7 innining pitcher making him a lot better statiscally. Or a 6 inning pitcher into an 7-8 inning pitcher, really helping his value because now he can get to his setup man and/or closer a lot more.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:47 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:ok - before this goes off in the wrong direction:

Lets forget about KB.

Say you suspect pitcher X of using steroids. Why would he - what do roids help him do? Do they increase pitcher X's velocity? Now, what would happen if pitcher X stopped taking them?

If I remember correctly, from what I've heard, roids help pitchers recover quickly, and have the most impact for relievers. Gagne is the biggest alleged-using pitcher around.

That's what I was thinking. They help with recovery after workouts, they don't by themselves make you bigger or increase your velocity as a pitcher. You have to work to make the steroids work is the way I alwyas saw it. I'm not saying it isn't cheating, just that it's not as easy as popping a few pills and you can throw 98 when you were barely breaking 90. I know that's not really the topic here though.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:48 pm

If I remember correctly, from what I've heard, roids help pitchers recover quickly, and have the most impact for relievers. Gagne is the biggest alleged-using pitcher around.

Yes the major benefit of steroids is the recovery of your muscles at a faster rate. The help you get back in the gym quicker so you can hit a bodypart more frequently thus increasing it's size.
killiansjmd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:57 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:All of the above. I am sort of the leader of the run Brown out of town camp, so take it for what it is worth.

Yanks04, you are the leader of the "what have you done for me lately crowd." Hey, if you were a Sox fan, you would have benched Bellhorn and perhaps Damon after the first three games of the ALCS. Why aren't you running Arod and Sheff out of town--they too blew the ALCS with horrible hitting the last four games. Or, the biggest choker of them all --Rivera. He had the ball at the end of the game, with the lead, on back to back nights and blew it.

Right? Run them all out! :-b

Seriously, though, KB is a very good pitcher. I would love to have him as my fourth or fifth best starter. You should want to keep him.

I am sure the Boston crowd would just LOVE to see Brown out there for us in the playoffs...no thanks.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: New Kevin Brown question...

Postby Pacman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:04 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: Last yr he had a fluke accident with his hand

Yeah, it was a real fluke that someone built a WALL right where Kevin swung his fist. :-P

What can BROWN do for you?

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:19 pm

I hate discussions based on symantics, so forget I ever used the word fluke. The Hand>Wall incident was an uncommon accident - is that better? The point doesnt really change, does it?

So, fellas, what happens to a pitcher who has used steroids once he stops using them? I think this has to be a concern of ours at this point in time, right? Its a very relevant question given the landscape of MLB today. What pitchers should we be concerned about this with - and again - what is a common reaction to being off the juice?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pacman » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:22 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I hate discussions based on symantics, so forget I ever used the word fluke. The Hand>Wall incident was an uncommon accident - is that better? The point doesnt really change, does it?

So, fellas, what happens to a pitcher who has used steroids once he stops using them? I think this has to be a concern of ours at this point in time, right? Its a very relevant question given the landscape of MLB today. What pitchers should we be concerned about this with - and again - what is a common reaction to being off the juice?

One thing I've read is that while you're on the juice, your muscles not only get bigger (obviously) but they get TOO big for the tendon that supports those muscles. So juicers often increase the chance of pulling/tearing tendons even after getting off the roids.

(Sorry about the whole fluke-wall response... I couldn't resist) O:-)
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby lesgrant » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:50 pm

I posted this link in another thread:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... ntroversy/

It has some useful general info about ‘roids. Kind of a scholarly, scientific angle on them. I figured I’d post it again before people start talking about head size.

I don’t think ‘roids help unless they are combined with weightlifting, which works the muscles to failure. I don’t think a starter could have regular workouts to failure in the weight room and be fresh on his start day. During the offseason is another story. I would imagine they would be used to increase lower body strength primarily, if not exclusively.

The people coming off ‘roids tend to be much more susceptible to muscle pulls and ligament and tendon “issues”, as Pac stated.

People who have muscle problems in their lower body, especially hamstrings, will usually put additional strain on their back muscles. In fact the hamstring pull is usually followed up by a back strain if the athlete tries to come back too fast. (ex. Jose Reyes)

If Brown was ‘roided up, then all of these little pings here and there could be attributed to that.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:17 pm

let me also ask this - should we be concerned about this heading into this season? It has become apparant that atheletes who used PEDs in the past have now gone off them en masse now that it has become such a heated topic. So, can we expect to see an increase in injuries this season?

And finally, should we even begin to speculate which pitchers may be affected by this? If so, who do you suspect and why?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers