what exactly was Beane thinking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what exactly was Beane thinking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:21 am

trevisc wrote:
I think you guys are forgetting that Hudson is from Georgia and i'm sure his input was considered as well which in my book really puts Beane and the A's organization on a higher pedestal.

may i ask why you feel the a's considered hudson's preference? i think the braves considered that but i dont really think beane considered that. why would he care where hudson ended up? his concern should be getting the best package for the a's.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:33 am

It's a pretty classic Beane deal if you ask me. Get under the radar, haven't used full potential guys, and turn them into quality players. I think he could have substituted Giles for Thomas and Cruz personally, but the deal isnt horrible.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:42 am

I think people are overlooking the fact that no team was going to get any guarantees when they traded for Hudson. The Braves are taking a gamble, so how much would they be expected to pay?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nuclear29 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:02 pm

Make no mistake that after next year when Hudson becomes a free agent, he's going to go where the money is. I doubt it will be with the Braves although I do agree that Oakland could have gotten more for him. Beane is being cost conscious. Again. This signing really pisses on the Mets parade. :~(
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby grammysboy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:04 pm

perlick29 wrote:It's a pretty classic Beane deal if you ask me. Get under the radar, haven't used full potential guys, and turn them into quality players. I think he could have substituted Giles for Thomas and Cruz personally, but the deal isnt horrible.

You must have read the book! Exactly, get three cheapies for one that's going to be real expensive to keep - pretty classic Beane. Remains to be seen if he got value for value for Hudson. That's something we'll be able to talk about after Hudson signs a big contract next winter.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:31 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:may i ask why you feel the a's considered hudson's preference? i think the braves considered that but i dont really think beane considered that. why would he care where hudson ended up? his concern should be getting the best package for the a's.

Baseball may be a business but good GM's take care of their players because you never know who might come around again as a Free Agent. It's just a gut feeling and nothing more then that. Beane is a smart GM and a smart business man. Obviously he knows he could have gotten more for Hudson but he chose to do that deal. We may never know the real reasons but in my gut I feel that he considered Hudson's preferences in the deal. Call it rare but that's why He and Schuerholz are the top 2 GMs in baseball.

Hudson is also a lifelong Braves fan if that wasn't already obvious. good article from AJC:

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/share ... Trade.html
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby perlick29 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:39 pm

grammysboy wrote:
perlick29 wrote:It's a pretty classic Beane deal if you ask me. Get under the radar, haven't used full potential guys, and turn them into quality players. I think he could have substituted Giles for Thomas and Cruz personally, but the deal isnt horrible.

You must have read the book! Exactly, get three cheapies for one that's going to be real expensive to keep - pretty classic Beane. Remains to be seen if he got value for value for Hudson. That's something we'll be able to talk about after Hudson signs a big contract next winter.

Of course I read the book. ;-D Though I dont like Charles Thomas much, or at least as much as the cafe members from Atlanta did. He pretty much came out of absolutely no where last year which I usually take to mean that last year was a fluke. He hit .265 in Spetember by the way.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:03 pm

Charles Thomas is this years Jody Gerut.
Juan Cruz Solid reliever
Meyer- a prospect

Say this trade was to happen at the start of last year, this trade would be like:

Jody Gerut(at the start of last year he was every bit the talent of Thomas)
Ryan Wagner a solid reliever with big upside
and
Edwin Jackson last years hot prospect

All that for Huddy

Analyzing that deal you get:
Gerut- horrid year
Wagner- hurt bad year
Jackson- terrible last year

for Hudson- another strong year even though he was banged up

This would have been a terrible trade for the A's and this latest deal could be equally terrible. But that is the boat the A's are in they feel they have to deal players because they can not afford them. Whereas the Yanks can afford whoever they want.

Where would the A's be with Tejada, Foulke, Izzy and Hudson? I bet Oakland A fans would like to know, but they never will. Start writing your goodbye letters to Zito and Mulder now they have at most 1 more year with you guys.

COW
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby grammysboy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:26 pm

The Cow wrote:Jody Gerut(at the start of last year he was every bit the talent of Thomas)
Ryan Wagner a solid reliever with big upside
and
Edwin Jackson last years hot prospect

All that for Huddy

Analyzing that deal you get:
Gerut- horrid year
Wagner- hurt bad year
Jackson- terrible last year

for Hudson- another strong year even though he was banged up

This would have been a terrible trade for the A's and this latest deal could be equally terrible. But that is the boat the A's are in they feel they have to deal players because they can not afford them. Whereas the Yanks can afford whoever they want.

Start writing your goodbye letters to Zito and Mulder now they have at most 1 more year with you guys.

COW

No disagreement here, I would have thought B.Beane was pretty sharp to have pulled out that trade last season, but by year's end would have been ready to break his legs. Unknown what these three will do for the A's, beyond give them cheap players for several years. As I said, we'll know more as the year unfolds. We may be singing Billy's praises next October for having pulled off the best trade of the off-season.

I agree, this trade indicates that the A's are probably not going to pony up for both Zito and Mulder. My guess is they go after on or the other, but neither may be offered enough to stay and they will def get some inviting offers elsewhere.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby El Jefe » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:16 pm

trevisc wrote:Meyer is going to be a stud.

I think that this is the most important statement made about this trade. I think that Meyer was the key player that Beane wanted.

From The Sporting News:

Dec. 15, 2004 - 1:06 p.m.
If the Braves get Tim Hudson, it will be because of the A's interest in Meyer. He started out in Double-A this year, going 6-3 with a 2.22 ERA in 14 games (13 starts) with a sick 86:12 K/BB ratio in 65 innings. Moved up to Triple-A, Meyer did nothing to disappoint. In 12 games, he was 3-3 with a 2.79 ERA, striking out 60 while walking 25 in 61.1 innings.
Fantasy Source spin: Although he might not crack the Braves’ rotation out of spring training, a trade would certainly make his path to the majors quicker. He’s definitely ready for the shot. Even without a trade, he’ll force his way into the bigs soon enough. (Mark Allen Haverty for TSN)
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers