what exactly was Beane thinking? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what exactly was Beane thinking?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what exactly was Beane thinking?

Postby Dude86 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:29 am

Basically every rumored offer that Beane turned down was better then the one he accepted. The Dodgers deal for Jackson was better. The Mets deal for Reyes was better. I'm sure there were even better deals out there but he decides to take a very average OF and two pitching prospects who probably won't amount to much. What exactly is going on here?
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:04 am

How dare you question Billy Beane! He can do no wrong!
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:11 am

I like the deal for both teams. That average outfielder that you spoke of could be really good. I watched him last year was really impressed.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:04 am

hey..speaking as a Braves' fan, That was the best deal ever!

Chucky T is a super talent in Left field and Meyer is going to be a stud. Juan Cruz is a 8th inning knockout pitcher too. Getting 3 for 1 is not bad at all when you have all that pitching talent to spare.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:57 am

trevisc wrote:hey..speaking as a Braves' fan, That was the best deal ever!

Chucky T is a super talent in Left field and Meyer is going to be a stud. Juan Cruz is a 8th inning knockout pitcher too. Getting 3 for 1 is not bad at all when you have all that pitching talent to spare.

I agree that the trade wasn't as bad as some people think, but I guess I would rather have had the single player with the most upside - Jackson - rather than 3 solid+ players with more limited upside.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:17 am

It's not that the guys Oakland got are worthless. It's just that they didn't get market value for Hudson. This reminds me of the exact situation with the Mets, and Kazmir last year. If they wanted to trade him, and give up on him, they could have at least gotten more than Victor Zambrano (Lofunzo advocated this like crazy when it happened, and I agree with him completely). I think Oakland will be saying this for years to come, even if Thomas, Meyer, and Cruz make their impacts.

With guys like Jaret Wright signing for $7M/year, Hudson should be able to get pretty much anyone in the league with a few exceptions. The market for a quality SP is always relatively thin, but especially this year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:46 am

i wonder if beane would have been able to get more had he allowed teams to talk to huddy about signing an extension.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:58 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i wonder if beane would have been able to get more had he allowed teams to talk to huddy about signing an extension.

I think you guys are forgetting that Hudson is from Georgia and i'm sure his input was considered as well which in my book really puts Beane and the A's organization on a higher pedestal.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:59 am

trevisc wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:i wonder if beane would have been able to get more had he allowed teams to talk to huddy about signing an extension.

I think you guys are forgetting that Hudson is from Georgia and i'm sure his input was considered as well which in my book really puts Beane and the A's organization on a higher pedestal.

True, very good point. Perhaps that is the case.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Re: what exactly was Beane thinking?

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:15 am

Dude86 wrote:Basically every rumored offer that Beane turned down was better then the one he accepted. The Dodgers deal for Jackson was better. The Mets deal for Reyes was better. I'm sure there were even better deals out there but he decides to take a very average OF and two pitching prospects who probably won't amount to much. What exactly is going on here?

i think trevisc answered your question pretty well...but you must not have seen thomas play alot last year as he was very impressive imo......and was somebody i was going to be targeting in the draft this year in my couple of deep leagues(and i still will be)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers