Braves trade Marrero - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves trade Marrero

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:01 pm

kentx12 wrote:I still havent found a link on it yet but my question is who is going to play outfiled for Atlanta???

Marte at 3B, Chipper in left, Andruw in center, Free Agent in right?

Maybe those Sosa rumors are more than rumors?
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:01 pm

reiser wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I still havent found a link on it yet but my question is who is going to play outfiled for Atlanta???

Andruw :)
:-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby reiser » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:08 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote: I still havent found a link on it yet but my question is who is going to play outfiled for Atlanta???

From ESPN:
The Braves announced on Thursday that they acquired right-handed relief pitcher Jorge Vasquez from the Royals in exchange for outfielder Eli Marrero and cash considerations.

Vasquez, 26, made his major-league debut last season, appearing in two games and allowing three earned runs in 3 1/3 innings pitched. He spent the majority of the season with the Kansas City's Triple-A team in Wichita, where he went 4-5 with a 4.68 earned run average and 18 saves in 49 relief appearances covering 59 2/3 innings. Originally signed by the Royals on Sept. 1, 1998, as a non-drafted free agent, Vasquez led the Kansas City minor-league system with 29 saves in 2003.

Marrero, acquired in a trade with the St. Louis Cardinals last offseason, hit .320 with 10 home runs and 40 RBI in more than 90 games as a platoon outfielder.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:14 am

i would bet scheurholz already has something in the makings for the rf slot, as this had to be a cash dump trade as marrero was valuable to the braves due to the positions he was playable at......and he was right decent with the bat as well last year in spot duty...... looking like chipper is probably LF bound again.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:21 am

Buck and Castillo should see all the time behind the plate. They both have a real long ways to go before they get any mention in fantasy leagues though.

Marrero is the gem of the offseason so far for the Royals (followed closely by simply getting rid of several players from last season). Things are really looking up around here. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby wrveres » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:17 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:

Marte at 3B, Chipper in left, Andruw in center, Free Agent in right?

Maybe those Sosa rumors are more than rumors?

this is just the cash dump to get him under budget to sign Hudson.
Smoltz contract was also redone today.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:02 am

i'm hoping that Marte will get a chance to start at 3B. It's about time he got his shot in the majors.

As for right field, I can't see the Braves signing Sosa. From what i've heard about him in the Club house and his jamming out and stuff I don't know if he'd be a good fit with the Braves. It's going to be an interesting few days though
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:39 am

wrveres wrote:
this is just the cash dump to get him under budget to sign Hudson.
Smoltz contract was also redone today.

They had $10M before the Kolb deal. Kolb and Hudson will be about $10M. The Smoltz contract still pays him $12M this year, so no increase (or relief) there. They did not need to dump Marerro as they were already at budget.

This move does free up some money, though, as they still need a RF. As Dewayne Wise and Ryan Langerhans seem to be unlikely choices as starters, I highly doubt that the Braves are finished and will likely trade for somebody. Is that Sosa? I doubt it. I agree that his clubhouse antics wouldn't be welcome in the Braves clubhouse. Who'd they get for $2M or so, I don't know? But I don't think the Braves are done yet.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby J35J » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:32 am

yeah Buck is our guy, Marrero will just be one of many to platoon in the OF for us this year. I like the deal even if Marrero isn't a full time guy for us!!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby dicehound » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:47 pm

I like the deal too, as a Kansas City fan as well as someone who has Marte in a keeper league. That would be really awesome for the Braves to give Marte a shot at the 3B job this year.
dicehound
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers