Projections for Maggs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Projections for Maggs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Projections for Maggs?

Postby mgoody6634 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:38 pm

Is he going to be healthy at the beginning of the season? Where do you think he'll end up? What kind of numbers do you expect him to put up this season? Why?
The Reds might stink, but I'm still a fan!
mgoody6634
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dannahann » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:58 pm

Those are the million dollar questions for me too. Magg's uncertain status has basically put my offseason keeper league dealings on hold. I would never feel right about dealing him with all the questions. That Boras first promised, then retracted, a showcase workout sends huge red flags IMO. Now supposedly he'll only release medical info (probably pre-spun by Boras) to teams showing real interest?? hmm sounds like the no shoulder MRI stipulation Pedro was forcing on the Mets :-t I really don't think we'll know anything definetive on Maggs until spring training...is he playing every day?...running?...playing in the OF? etc...
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby rlee » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:20 pm

In addition to the obvious health question, I think where he goes will have a lot to do with his numbers. If he goes to Texas, chances are he'll put up better numbers than if he goes to the Mets. :-B

But I think of all possible big names, he has to be the biggest question mark :-?
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:37 pm

The health status of Maggs is the only concern I have with him. If he is healthy all season, then no matter where he plays, he will be a very solid, 4 catagory fantasy OF.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:04 pm

i think he'll end up in Baltimore and hit .310-25-100
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby dleoboyd » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:08 am

I have serious doubts regarding Maggs' health and I think it shows in my projections:

.300/.380/.540, 17-20 HR, 52-58 RBI, 49-53 Runs, 2 SB

There is no doubt that Maggs is a professional hitter and knows how to handle his bat. However, the uncertainties regarding his health and his team have caused me to project a less than normal season for Maggs. I own him in both of my keeper leagues, so I hope that I am wrong, but I'm not willing to fool myself into making a projection based on 550-600 AB, when the probability of that happening isn't very high, IMO.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby ghostfacek » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:46 am

i like Dleoboyd's projection. when he plays, he's gonna produce. but when he plays is a total mystery. eventually he'll back, but you cant expect ab's for majority of 2005 in my oppinion. i think at least by the all-star break he could be 100% and be the maggs of old again

I think those workouts being pushed back is NOT a red flag but could be a Boras ploy that will probly work. injuries need time to heal.. so the longer they wait for the Maggs showcase, the better he'll look, and the better contract they'll get.. and the longer they wait for other big hitters to get signed, the more teams will be interested .. i think he'll be one of the very last FA's signed. they want a big contract, not a one year deal, so i think thats whats really going on
ghostfacek
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:39 pm

One other thing: Comiskey was the biggest hitter's park in the AL according park factor last year. Take a look at his career home/road splits--the BA split is almost identical but be hits an HR every 17 ABs at home vice every 25 ABs on the road. Given this, he should have fewer HRs if he signs in a neutral or a pitcher's park even if he is at full health.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers