Which pitcher has a breakthrough season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which pitcher has a breakthrough season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:29 pm

perlick29 wrote:
Everyone on this list sounds good to me with the certain exception of Milton. He's garbage.

He isn't great but he's better than garbage. His value would sky rocket if he went to the Yankees but it looks as though that now won't happen. If he remains with the Phillies then let someone else draft him.

I personally think Edwin Jackson is way over hyped. I've got my doubts he will ever make it big in the majors.

I'm also targeting AJ Burnett and even Peavy as potential studs that may be overlooked until the middle rounds.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:32 pm

Milton's value on the Yanks likely would = that of Contreras on the WSOX...garbage.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:49 pm

Yankee Stadium favours left handed pitchers. Look how well an average pitcher like Pettitte did there for so many years.

Milton's value as a Yankee would sky rocket.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 pm

Pettitte is better than an avg pitcher...Milton has never been even remotely close to good. He could not pitch in Minn, he stunk in the NL in Philly, just what makes you think he would not be a 5+ ERA stiff on the Yanks likely to lose his job by July?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:47 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Pettitte is better than an avg pitcher...Milton has never been even remotely close to good. He could not pitch in Minn, he stunk in the NL in Philly, just what makes you think he would not be a 5+ ERA stiff on the Yanks likely to lose his job by July?

Because he had a 4.75 ERA playing for a team that arguably plays in the second worst pitchers park in the majors. Like Pettite before him, the left-handed Milton would be greatly assisted by pitching in Yankee Stadium. It re-iterates just how dumb George and Cashman really are. They keep on signing expensive right handed pitchers that do nothing, instead of grabbing lefties.

Pettitte's Yankee Stadium record far exceeds his overall career numbers. He won over half of his career wins there but lost only a quarter of his career losses. Playing at home for the Astros his numbers were awful. He made Milton look like Santana.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:32 am

Last year was by far his worst display of K/BB since his rookie year. That's not the park's fault. Yankee Stadium is not pitcher friendly with regards to HR either. Plus, he'll be facing a DH, which in the AL East isn't a good thing. I predict the same crappy ERA he's always had if he signs with NY. Anything below 4.50 would be a miracle IMO.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Sunspot » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:12 am

I am suprised that more people aren't saying Matt Riley, since there were so many erect Cafe members over him for a while last year. Maybe they are embarrassed as to how his season went. Did everyone pretty much give up on Brett Meyers? I did. I like Barry Zito to break out this year, just kidding, but I think a rebound is in store for him as well as Matt Morris and look for Mulders mechanical flaw to be fixed in St. Louis. As far as breakouts:
Harden
Affeldt
R. Hernandez
L. Wilson
Francis
Bonderman
Backe
Kazmir
G. Floyd
Madritch
Haren
Brazelton
B.J. Ryan (If Closes)
Cordero (If closes all year)
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Great thread, thought it deserved a bump.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby brandnew » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:26 pm

Another bump :-D

What you guys think of Luke Hudson?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonnyblack » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:02 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:dan haren if he is the rotation. not an ace but could be a valuable contributor.

I like Haren. I'm a Cardinal fan he he showed me some things in a short time in St. Louis. I know its totally subjective, but by all accounts here, the kid is an intense competitor and has a good head on his shoulders. I beleive that, while probably not ace material this year, Dan Haren is still undervalued by most fantasy players. There are very few aces in the game. I predict Dan Haren will be a two or three fantasy starter by the end of the year.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers