Which pitcher has a breakthrough season? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which pitcher has a breakthrough season?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lbbaseball14 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:27 pm

Lets pray he does.
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:27 pm

Dark Knight wrote:Brandon Webb. He has to have more wins and K's this season, no?

As much as I like him, that is probably wishful thinking. Maybe K's but I don't see the wins going up unless the D-Backs make some good moves with all the money they suddenly found. :-t
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:32 pm

lbbaseball14 wrote:i will def take a chance on burnett... did you say injury proned? He had surgery to fix his arm and he did enough last year when he came back to convince me that he is healthy. A guy with the potential of 200 k's is worth the risk. Plus with all the big teams trying to get this guy who knows how many wins he could have.

You are absolutely correct. I was just being a wiseacher and trying to throw the scent off of a couple pitchers I'll be targeting. Burnett is a stud and will probably be one of the most underrated fantasy picks coming into April.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby yanksareback2 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:48 pm

Penny was pitching well last year until he got hurt. i expect him to very well next year and be an elite pitcher in the nl next year. dodger stadium is a nice place to pitch too.
yanksareback2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby looptid » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:54 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Bonderman is terrible - you should forget about him now.

He did very well after the all-star break last season, and especially well in September after the Tigers' staff order him to stop overthinking and trust his stuff more. I'd like to hope he's finally learning how to pitch.

2004 Post All-Star
3.70 ERA - 1.10 WHIP - .211 BAA - 3.03 K/BB - 8.5 K/9IP

September 2004
2.53 ERA - 1.05 WHIP - .199 BAA - 3.00 K/BB - 8.9 K/9IP

Those numbers are very, very impressive. And while the sample size may be very small, it is worth bearing in mind that Bonderman was only 21 years old last season; an age at which most pitchers are still in the minor leagues learning how to pitch professionally. Bonderman is only going to be 22 next season. I've got a question to pose:

If Bonderman didn't pitch in the majors at all in 2003, and was a late season call up after the all-star break last year for the Tigers, and he went on to post a 3.70 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, and a .211 BAA in addition to striking out 85 batters in 90 innings while only walking 28 as a 21 year old, what kind of fantasy hype would he have going into 2005? A lot more than he currently does right now.

How many pitchers wouldn't get hit hard as a 20 year old in the majors in 2003 or stuggle for the first half of their 21 year old season? Give the kid a chance. He couldn't legally buy a drink until last season. He is still wet behind the ears.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Which pitcher has a breakthrough season?

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:56 pm

yanksareback2 wrote:I like Jake Peavy to stay healthy and pitch great for the whole year especially at Petco

Damn, I read the thread title and Peavy popped into my mind before I even clicked it. Definately expecting big things from him, at a low pick.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:05 pm

Cornbread, why are you so down on Bonderman? I only ask because everyone pumps him up as such a "sleeper" and I would be interested in a contrary rationale.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:14 pm

No offense to the people saying Peavy will have a breakthrough year but how much better does it get? He had a 2.27 ERA and if it doesn't significantly rise I'd be surprised. He'll be very good no doubt, but a breakthrough is hard when you've already had a season like that.

And CBM was joking about Bonderman sucking. I have him primed for a breakthrough as well. I drafted him last year hoping the same thing (of course much later than I will this year; people tend to shy away from pitchers with 19 losses and a 5.56 ERA).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:18 pm

Dont' worry, CBM, I got the humor and intent of your post.

;-D

I totally agree about Burnett being great next year. I totally don't agree about him being underrated. I think he's on a lot of maps for next season's draft. Pick him high if you want him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:34 pm

Whoops, didn't get the joke I guess.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers