Ebay Rookies: Huge Pet Peeve - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ebay Rookies: Huge Pet Peeve

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ebay Rookies: Huge Pet Peeve

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:52 pm

It really sucks when you are looking at an item on Ebay...and someone boosts the price from like 50$ to 150 when there is still like 10 hours to go in the auction!

Basically all that person is doing is insuring that the price will be that much higher...If everyone doesn't bid till the last hour...especially on a no reserve item then its going to be lower!

I understand that people can't get to computers sometimes when the auction ends...but then again why boost it up so then someone can outbid you by a buck anyways!...

It really sucks...I just saw two pairs of skis go from like 80 bucks to 150 bucks within 10 minutes!! Rookies...
Too bad the auction doesn't end till 11:00 PM! :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:54 pm

It could be someone bidding on their own item, to up the value. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pacman » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 pm

slomo007 wrote:It could be someone bidding on their own item, to up the value. ;-)

And that happens A LOT on eBay. :-t All it takes is a seller creating another username (which takes about two seconds to do) and upping the bids. No risk to the strategy (if you end up winning your own auction, you just re-list it).

It's one of the big problems with eBay. I wish they'd make it impossible to log on as two different people from the same IP addy... but then again folks would just call their friends and have THEM up the bidding FOR them... so there's really no way to stop it. :-P
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:00 pm

Pacman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:It could be someone bidding on their own item, to up the value. ;-)

And that happens A LOT on eBay. :-t All it takes is a seller creating another username (which takes about two seconds to do) and upping the bids. No risk to the strategy (if you end up winning your own auction, you just re-list it).

It's one of the big problems with eBay. I wish they'd make it impossible to log on as two different people from the same IP addy... but then again folks would just call their friends and have THEM up the bidding FOR them... so there's really no way to stop it. :-P

I agree it really sucks though...especially since I passed on a fat pair of skis last night because I couldn't bring myself to impulse buy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby perlick29 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:35 pm

Haven't seen the problems you guys have talked about in my 3 years, luck I guess, but there is one problem we've talked about here which I've noticed a lot. The jacking up on shipping prices. I look at an item with a couple hours remaining that I want and say, "hmm thats unusally a low price to be at at this point." Sure enough the shipping costs are way overboard. :-t
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:39 pm

I agree about shipping. I bought a club last week at a great price but neglected to look at shipping. After the auction was over I found out why the club was so cheap... $28 shipping... :-t
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:41 pm

People who bid on their own auctions to up the price get caught a lot. I've had it happen to me once, and eBay nullified all of the auctions that guy ran so I got my money back. I've been buying and selling on eBay for 6 years and that's the only instance I can think of that involved me.

Back when I first started, I used to get my friend to bid a certain amount on some auctions because that was the minimum I wanted to receive. So not really cheating per se, but just a reserve that you don't have to pay for. I guess it kind of is cheating actually. But I've had guys try to pull the wool over my eyes enough times to justify doing it... :-D

BTW there used to be a site called eSnipe that would automatically bid a certain amount at a certain time for you, and it was free. Are there any sites like that still around?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:32 pm

I had a funny thing happen to me the other day that fits this conversation topic. We had posted a film camera for sale because we wanted to get a digital camera. We were hoping for about $30 for the little Elph we owned. Well, in the middle of the auction (listed for 5 days), my 6-year old cat got really sick. Two days and seven hundred dollars later*, we decided we weren't going to be buying a digital camera because of all of the money we just poured into the cat, so we wanted to keep our film camera.

There was one problem, though. The camera had been bid on, and there was no way to end the auction without pissing some people off. Not wanting to do that, we simply created another account and wayyyyy overbid everyone ($50+) so that we would win our own auction. Well, at the last second, someone sniped us on our own item! We didn't expect it at all. After all, similar items had only gone for $20 - $30 in the last few weeks.

In the end, we decided to take the person's money and to look for a cheap digital camera on eBay. Afterwards, I thought about how many people probably bid up their own items, and I had a good laugh about it. I bet many of them aren't nearly as successful percentage-wise as we were, and we weren't even trying!

:-D

* - If you think that's too much to spend on a pet, don't go there with me. I voluntarily took the responsibility of caring for that animal, and I was not about to let him die from something 100% cureable. That would be unbelievably selfish of me.
Last edited by StlSluggers on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby BigMusky » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:44 pm

Ebay is a crock for almost everything that multiple people would want. By time you factor in the outrageous shipping charges, you save 20 bucks or something lame on an item that is not even guranteed to arrive, let alone be in good shape. Might as well just bye it at the store .
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jivedude » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:People who bid on their own auctions to up the price get caught a lot. I've had it happen to me once, and eBay nullified all of the auctions that guy ran so I got my money back. I've been buying and selling on eBay for 6 years and that's the only instance I can think of that involved me.

Back when I first started, I used to get my friend to bid a certain amount on some auctions because that was the minimum I wanted to receive. So not really cheating per se, but just a reserve that you don't have to pay for. I guess it kind of is cheating actually. But I've had guys try to pull the wool over my eyes enough times to justify doing it... :-D

BTW there used to be a site called eSnipe that would automatically bid a certain amount at a certain time for you, and it was free. Are there any sites like that still around?

Yep. It's called Hammersnipe. http://www.hammertap.com/HammerSnipe.html
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to General Talk