Cabrera: Make Me Feel Better - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Cabrera: Make Me Feel Better

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:57 pm

Oh yeah! Can we sign "how many times can I beat my wife" Lugo? Please! Please! Please!

:-t

If we signed him, he might just be the first Cardinal I ever boo.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:31 pm

If Polanco is brought and no other viable SS is signed I assume he slides over and mans short? Then who will be at second? A platoon? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:19 am

StlSluggers wrote:Oh yeah! Can we sign "how many times can I beat my wife" Lugo? Please! Please! Please!

:-t

If we signed him, he might just be the first Cardinal I ever boo.

well, we would have to trade for him...

Wife's testimony enough to free Lugo
Rays infielder is quickly acquitted on assault charges a day after wife says on stand that she exaggerated claims.
By BRANT JAMES, Times Staff Writer
© St. Petersburg Times
published July 17, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Devil Rays infielder Julio Lugo was acquitted on charges of assault/family violence by a six-person jury Wednesday, a day after his wife testified that she had exaggerated the circumstances that led to Lugo's arrest April 30 in Houston.

The jury of four men and two women deliberated for 20 minutes in Harris County Criminal Court in Houston before delivering the verdict in a trial that ended a day early.

"We said all along that if the true facts came out, he would be found not guilty," defense attorney Chris Tritico said. "The way (Assistant District Attorney) Catherine (Evans) selected the jury, I had a feeling Mrs. Lugo was going to tell the truth. They spent a lot of time asking how they would feel if a spouse comes in and says the husband didn't do it."

Mabel Lugo effectively crushed the prosecution's case Tuesday when she testified that Julio Lugo did not mean to hurt her during an altercation in their vehicle as she drove him to Minute Maid Park, where he was to play in a game for the Astros. Julio Lugo was accused of punching her and slamming her head against the vehicle.

Mabel Lugo also took responsibility for instigating the incident, contradicting the report she gave police after Lugo was arrested in the stadium parking lot eight hours after the incident.

The prosecution continued the case with testimony from other witnesses.

"She was not happy to be here," Evans said in her closing arguments, according to the Associated Press. "She is protective of her husband. She is anxious. She is nervous. I don't blame her. How sad is it to hear a woman say over and over, "I hit myself with the truck. I provoked him. It was my fault.' "

Mabel Lugo's assertions that she clarified the facts during testimony may protect her from perjury charges, Tritico said.

"She tried to tell the district attorney he didn't do it, but they prosecuted the case anyway," Tritico said.

Texas law allows for prosecution of family violence cases on hearsay evidence. Lugo could have received a year in jail and a $4,000 fine if convicted.

Mabel Lugo smiled when the verdict was read and was hugged by Julio Lugo's mother, Rhina.

"I told everybody from the first day that when the true facts came out, everything would be fine," Julio Lugo said. "My wife told the truth (Tuesday) and (Wednesday) I was found not guilty."

The Lugos are separated and have filed for divorce.

Julio Lugo was released by the Astros immediately after his arrest and signed to a one-year contract by the Rays.

Neither Rays general manager Chuck LaMar nor general counsel John Higgins returned calls from the Times on Wednesday.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/17/Rays/ ... enou.shtml

i would like to see polanco at ss and hairston at 2b. i get the impression the cards might go a little cheap and sign larkin for ss and have luna (or pokey reese if those rumors are true) back him up. then they would have enough money to throw at a starting pitcher.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:46 am

Well, I am genuinely relieved to hear that he is not a wife beater. Thanks for the article, JD.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:52 am

If the Post is right with Polanco wanting $5 mil+ and O-Cab wanting $7 mil +, I would rather the Cards get Hairston for 2B and take a chance with Lugo.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Previous

Return to St. Louis Cardinals