Cabrera: Make Me Feel Better - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Cabrera: Make Me Feel Better

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cabrera: Make Me Feel Better

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:02 pm

I know nothing, zero, zilch, nada about OC. Anyone want to a) tell me that we're probably going to sign him, and b) tell me that he's not much of a step down, including his clubhouse demeanor?

I need some spiritual uplifting right now...

:-/
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:11 pm

From what I've heard while he was in BOS he was a great clubhouse guy, but of course that was a totally different atmosphere than in STL I would guess. :-b I put this in one of the Renteria threads in the FB talk forum, thought it was pretty good :-D

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm not sure about the latter, but I'll argue with you on the first part. Using my feeble analytical skills this is how I see it. (Comparing Renteria to Cabrera):

Take a look at Cabrera's splits MON/BOS last year. I know it's a small sample size, but if you extrapolate his numbers with the better Boston lineup around him to 162 games (~600 AB's) he hit much better than his career averages in MON.

(w/BOS, for 162 games (Renteria's average last 3 years))

R: 33 --> 87 (86)
HR: 6 --> 16 (11)
RBI: 31 --> 82 (85)
H: 67 --> 178 (176)
AVG: .294 --> 178/600 = .297 -(176/573 = .308 (But that was affected disproportionatly by .330 in '03 IMO))

I guess I said all that just to say that if Cabrera's increase with Boston was due to the lineup (which it was IMO), he is comprable to Renteria in every facet offensively -- including AVG his major knock -- not just power. While I would much rather have Renteria, he's not the offensive stud that I think everyone makes him out to be, especially if Cabrera would come $2-$3million/year cheaper. Maybe I'm just in denial or something, but I don't think Cabrera is that much of a step down for either of these two offenses, at least not a $2-$3million difference. :-? I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong on this. :-/

Personally, I think Cabrera would put up the same numbers as Renteria would have if he does in fact come to STL. Maybe I'm just kidding myself but I don't think there will be much fall off if any if Cabrera replaces Renteria. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:23 pm

Great post, Saints!

;-D

If we do sign him (are we for sure in the hunt for him???), does he bat lead-off?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:31 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Great post, Saints!

;-D

If we do sign him (are we for sure in the hunt for him???), does he bat lead-off?

I would assume he's at least an option. His agents were in serious talks with Walt last I heard, so he's at least on the radar. As far as leadoff, I see him as about as much of a leadoff guy as Renteria IMO. I'm not really sure though. :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:34 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I would assume he's at least an option. His agents were in serious talks with Walt last I heard, so he's at least on the radar. As far as leadoff, I see him as about as much of a leadoff guy as Renteria IMO. I'm not really sure though. :-?

He seemed to be a very good lead-off hitter in the playoffs, if I recall.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:35 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I would assume he's at least an option. His agents were in serious talks with Walt last I heard, so he's at least on the radar. As far as leadoff, I see him as about as much of a leadoff guy as Renteria IMO. I'm not really sure though. :-?

When did he leadoff over Damon? :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:37 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

When did he leadoff over Damon? :-?

I'm on crack. Don't mind me.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:44 pm

My guess is OC would lead off depending on who plays 2B. Edgar would have been a good leadoff man or a great #2 hitter but the stories I always heard were that he felt more comfortable batting lower in the order.

The middle infield is empty and I am waiting for Walt to make some magic.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:45 pm

Everything that I've ever heard about him has been positive. Didn't sulk in Montreal and got along with the freaks and misfits in Boston.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:47 pm

before he was traded to boston i had heard he was the type of player that everyone expected would be better once he went to a real baseball town.

if the tigers or some mystery team are interested in him i think the bidding might reach about 8 per year. not sure if the cards would go that high for him. the back up plan is said to be larkin for dirt cheap to play about 100-120 games with luna taking the rest. i guess lugo is an option but i dont think walt has had any talks with the rays yet.

i dont feel too confident we sign cabrera. i feel pretty confident the cards will sign polanco though.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals